Strauss vows to ‘grind Australia down’ to retain AshesOctober 31st, 2010 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
Perth, Oct 31(ANI): England captain Andrew Strauss has vowed that his side would grind the Ricky Ponting-lead Australia team down during the upcoming Ashes series.
The England team arrived in Australia on Saturday aiming to be the first team since Mike Gatting’ 1986-87 team to win the urn Down Under.
“Ultimately you have got to grind Australia down, there is no doubt about that. We have all learnt lessons about the style of cricket you have to play and the mindset you have to have if you want to be successful (against Australia),” News.com.au quoted Strauss, as saying.
“There are crucial periods of play in Test matches where one side grabs the initiative from the other and doesn’t let go.”
“The challenge for us is to make sure we are that side. All 11 guys in our side have been putting their hands up in those crucial periods in Tests to make sure we get through them and win tight games,” he added.
The 33-year-old further said that working along with coach Andy Flower, his team has assessed Australia’s strengths and weakness.
“We are going to have to be prepared enough to take advantage of those weaknesses. The Australian side doesn’t have those legendary experienced players they once had,” Strauss added.
The first of the five Ashes Tests will be held at the Gabba in Brisbane from November 25 to 29.
It will be followed by Tests in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.
The tour also has two Twenty20 internationals and a seven-match ODI series. (ANI)
- Best chance for England to end Ashes win drought in Oz in two decades: Gatting - Oct 28, 2010
- Ashes series in Australia, World Cup to test England team's abilities: Collingwood - Oct 31, 2010
- England will struggle against 'better' Oz side in home conditions, says Salman Butt - Aug 22, 2010
- Gatting confident of England Ashes victory - Nov 23, 2010
- 'Would love for Strauss to take my Ashes series winning skipper title,' says Gatting - Dec 29, 2010
- Gatting credits England's Ashes success to Flower and Strauss - Dec 30, 2010
- Chappell rules out Warne's return - Dec 13, 2010
- Gilchrist says England favourites but not guaranteed the Ashes - Nov 17, 2010
- Strauss now wants England Ashes series victory - Dec 29, 2010
- Australia holds slight Ashes edge over England: Waqar - Nov 21, 2010
- Botham backs England for 'magnificent' Ashes win over Australia - Sep 28, 2010
- England has the right cards to win Ashes Down Under - Aug 14, 2010
- Strauss looking to win Ashes series, then world domination - Dec 30, 2010
- Australia's insecurity over Ashes selection 'good thing' for England: Strauss - Nov 14, 2010
- 'England team to take on Ashes challenge together' says Prior - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: andrew strauss, andy flower, australia news, australia team, coach andy, england captain, england team, gabba, grabs, internationals, mike gatting, mindset, news com au, no doubt, oct 31, odi series, strengths and weakness, tight games, twenty20, urn