Strauss scores century in each innings against IndiaDecember 14th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 14 (IANS) Andrew Strauss, the South Africa born left-handed opener became only the second England batsman after Graham Gooch to score a century in each innings of a Test match against India here Sunday.On the back of the 123 he scored in the first innings, Strauss, the 31-year old former England captain, crossed the three-figure mark in the second knock when he pushed Zaheer Khan to midwicket for a single in the first Test against India to become the seventh batsman to achieve the feat.
It was the 31-year old’s 14th Test century and third against India.
The list of other six who have scored back-to-back centuries in the same Test against India:
1. Don Bradman (Australia) - 132 and 127 not out, Melbourne, 1948
2. Everton Weekes (West Indies) - 162 and 101, Kolkatta, 1948
3. Duleep Mendis (Sri Lanka) - 105 and 105, Chennai, 1982
4. Graham Gooch (England) - 333 and 123, Lord’s, 1990
5. Gary Kirsten (South Africa) - 102 and 133, Kolkata, 1996
6. Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka) - 146 and 120, Colombo (SSC grounds), 1997