Strauss praises team for splendid showAugust 22nd, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 22 (IANS) England captain Andrew Strauss praised his team for the splendid show against India that saw them win the series 4-0 and also become the No.1 Test nation.
“It was outstanding again,” a beaming Strauss said after India went down by an innings and eight runs at The Oval in the fourth Test.
He lauded Graeme Swann, who took nine wickets in the match, and Ian Bell, who scored a double century, for their contributions.
“It was Graeme Swann’s day but when you look at the start of the game Ian Bell’s innings was the best I’ve seen him play. We knew it was going to be hard work today but we knew we had a lot of time.”
Stuart Broad, who was given England’s man of the series award, said they achieved the success with the ball because they were able to put their plans to perfection.
“They are a powerful batting side. We set clear plans, we wanted to be slightly fuller.
“We recognised I needed to bowl slightly fuller and bring the stumps into play and with that working at Lord’s it gave me the confidence to continue with that.”
Rahul Dravid, who scored three centuries, won the other man of the series. He said that it was disappointing the way they played in the series.
“Congratulation to the England team. They are the No.1 side and they outplayed us.”
“We did expect a tough series. We could have played a lot better cricket. It was disappointing.
“This England attack is one of the better attacks I have played in my career. They have everything going for them at the moment. They have pace, bounce, height.”
Asked what went wrong, Dravid said: “I might take half an hour to reply.”
On his own performance, he said: “At this stage in my career, I want to contribute. There are young players waiting in the wing. The series in West Indies helped me and I came here with confidence. There is some sense of personal satisfaction.”
- It was a fantastic turnaround, says Strauss - Aug 02, 2011
- Healthy competition among English batsmen: Bell - Aug 21, 2011
- England out to challenge India's Test supremacy (Preview) - Jul 20, 2011
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- Reaching No.1 spot is not the end of the journey: Swann - Aug 04, 2011
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Dravid ends 15 year wait but Broad gives England advantage (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2011
- India will go into third Test with No.1 Test ranking at stake - Aug 09, 2011
- Dravid stands tall with another century (Lunch report) - Aug 21, 2011
- India face herculean task to save Lord's Test (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Dravid scores century, India falter again (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Flower backs out-of-sorts Strauss on eve of squad announcement - May 13, 2012
- Pitching the ball up was the key for Broad - Jul 24, 2011
- Cook, Kieswetter power England to victory in second ODI (Third Lead) - Sep 07, 2011
- India can take heart from their record at the Oval - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: andrew strauss, bounce, centuries, confidence, congratulation, cricket, double century, england captain, england team, half an hour, India, london, match, nine wickets, pace, personal satisfaction, rahul dravid, stumps, swann, west indies