Strauss defends England boot camp despite Anderson injuryOctober 19th, 2010 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 19 (ANI): England captain Andrew Strauss has defended the team’s five day boot camp in Germany, even though it might have wrecked fast bowler James Anderson’s Ashes dreams.
The England and Wales Cricket Board was well aware about the risks. So they timed the trip to allow as much recovery time as possible in case of injury, he said.
Anderson is doubtful for the first two Tests against Australia after breaking a rib boxing against Chris Tremlett in Germany three weeks ago.
Strauss said: “We gained a huge amount out of it as a group. We had a lot of shared experiences and had to dig pretty deep.”
“We could have just sat on our sofas thinking we’ll be fine but this was a great way for us to develop as a side,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
“Everyone did 30 seconds boxing and Jimmy happened to get one in the wrong place. One of the reasons the camp was held at the end of the season was to give us plenty of time to recover if something did go wrong,” he added. (ANI)
- Strauss confident of retaining Ashes Down Under - Oct 28, 2010
- Anderson expected to be fit for Ashes showdown despite rib fracture: ECB - Oct 16, 2010
- Tremlett to replace Anderson for crunch World Cup tie against West Indies - Mar 16, 2011
- Tremlett, Bresnan vie for vacant England bowling spot - Dec 14, 2010
- Ravi Bopara replaces injured Trott in third Test - Aug 06, 2011
- Strauss to practice in India for Pakistan series - Nov 17, 2011
- We are very optimistic, Anderson is fit to play: Strauss - Aug 17, 2011
- The Ashes: Tremlett can step into breach created by injured Anderson: Davies - Oct 23, 2010
- England in command after first day of Perth Ashes Test - Dec 16, 2010
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- England in command after first day of Boxing Day Test - Dec 26, 2010
- Anderson should be fit for Oval Test, hopes Swann - Aug 16, 2011
- Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squad - Jul 17, 2011
- Panesar, Tremlett recalled in England's 16-man squad for Ashes - Sep 24, 2010
- Anderson will be fit for Ashes opener: Flower - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: andrew strauss, australia, boot camp, boxing, chris tremlett, dreams, england and wales, england and wales cricket board, england captain, experiences, germany, james anderson, london, recovery time, sofas, sun, wales cricket board