Strauss concerned with the future of TestsOctober 18th, 2011 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 18 (IANS) England Test captain Andrew Strauss fears that Test cricket might be killed due to an overdose of ODIs and Twenty20s.
Strauss, who led England to the No.1 spot in Tests, said financial rewards from telecast of Twenty20 and ODIs have threatened the future of the five-day game.
“I have concerns about the state of Test cricket. Even in traditional hotbeds of the game such as South Africa, attendances are a long way below what we would expect them to be. I am very much aware that if we are arrogant and assume Test cricket will always be there we are sowing the seeds of our downfall,” Strauss was quoted as saying by The Times.
Strauss is also concerned about the apathy of the game’s administrators towards the oldest form of the game. The inaugural World Test Championship, slated for 2013, is likely to be postponed for four years to fit in another one-day tournament in 2013 while next summer’s Test series between England and South Africa will now be played over three Tests, and not five that was earlier agreed.
“I don’t quite understand how that has come about. It was not that long ago they were talking about it being a prestige series that should always be played over five Tests.
“There is lots of cricket to fit in and you can’t play five Tests against every opponent but the responsibility is on administrators to provide a product people want to watch. In our country series against Australia, South Africa and India stand out a bit more,” Strauss said.
- South Africa dump Boxing Day Test for T20s - Jun 06, 2012
- Tons by Dilshan, Strauss set tone for England-Lanka series - May 16, 2011
- Rahul Dravid to quit ODI and Twenty20 cricket after England series - Aug 07, 2011
- We've learned lessons from 2007 World Cup: Strauss - Feb 14, 2011
- Strauss dreams of two more Ashes series wins under his captaincy - Jan 08, 2011
- End 50-over cricket, says England spinner Swann - Dec 01, 2011
- Strauss to practice in India for Pakistan series - Nov 17, 2011
- Ranchi, Dharmasala to host ODIs against England - Apr 02, 2012
- Windies, Australia to renew ODI rivalry - Jul 22, 2012
- Nobody to be blamed for India's performance: Srikkanth - Aug 14, 2011
- Afridi calls for introduction of Umpire Decision Review System in ODIs - Sep 13, 2010
- International cricket umpire Clyde Duncan dies - Jul 28, 2011
- England play six Tests, 13 ODIs and four T-20s next summer - Sep 30, 2011
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: andrew strauss, apathy, day game, downfall, england test, fears, financial rewards, hotbeds, inaugural world, odis, opponent, play five, prestige series, south africa, sowing the seeds, test championship, test cricket, test series, twenty20, world test