Stopping England juggernaut won’t be easy for Ireland: BresnanMarch 2nd, 2011 - 9:06 am ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Mar.2 (ANI): While Ireland skipper William Porterfield believes his team will hit a purple patch against England in their World Cup encounter here today, fast bowler Tim Bresnan who snared five wickets against India last Sunday, believes stopping England’s World Cup juggernaut would be very difficult.
Bresnan took 5-48 in Sunday’s thrilling tie but saw team-mate James Anderson get walloped for 91 runs by the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh.
Fellow quickie Ajmal Shahzad - whose last-over six helped seal the dramatic tie - played only after Stuart Broad went down with a bout of Delhi belly.
Broad trained yesterday but coach Andy Flower and skipper Andrew Strauss will not make a decision before seeing how he reacts overnight.
The Sun quoted Bresnan, 26, as saying that England’s run-fest against India has now given Strauss’ men the belief they can compete with the World Cup’s big boys.
“To perform like that against the hosts is massive for us. We’ve taken a lot out of that game. But we’re still looking to get out there and improve on the last game we played. We improved in the field and in the bowling, although not everyone fired. It’s quite exciting for us that we can still see a lot of improvement in ourselves from the India game,” he added.
Porterfield insisted that anything is possible.
He said: “For any Irish team, playing against an English team is always pretty special for us and especially to people back home. They always want to see us get one over the English, so I’m sure they’ll be plenty watching hoping for a positive result.”
Likely Line-ups: England: Strauss (capt), Pietersen, Trott, Bell, Collingwood, Bopara, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson.
Ireland: Porterfield (capt), Stirling, Joyce, N O’Brien, White, K O’Brien, Botha, Mooney, Johnston, Dockrell, Rankin. (ANI)
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- World Cup stunner: Ireland score upset win over England (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against England - May 05, 2010
- O'Brien wary of strong Indian batting, bowling line-up - Mar 04, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Ireland put India on notice with victory over England - Mar 03, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: England vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 03, 2011
- Ireland looking to replicate 2007 performance (Team profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- Ireland opt to bowl against South Africa - Mar 15, 2011
- India is the focus now: Ireland captain - Mar 05, 2011
- Unfazed Ireland looks ahead for better performance - Mar 07, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against West Indies - Mar 11, 2011
- World Cup: Bangladesh elect to bat against Ireland - Feb 25, 2011
- Wilson's lbw cost us the match: Ireland captain - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: andrew strauss, andy flower, bresnan, coach andy, delhi belly, dockrell, irish team, james anderson, last game, line ups, mate james, o brien, pietersen, porterfield, purple patch, sachin tendulkar, shahzad, team mate, thrilling tie, yuvraj singh