Stop being selfish, Mohsin Khan tells AkmalOctober 17th, 2011 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 17 (IANS) Pakistan’s chief selector and interim coach Mohsin Khan has asked middle-order batsman Umar Akmal to “stop being selfish” and work on playing big innings.
Akmal was dropped for the Test series against Sri Lanka in the UAE and advised to play in domestic cricket.
“There is no doubt over his (Akmal’s) potential or talent. But he has not done enough to remain in the team,” Mohsin was quoted as saying in espncricinfo.
“Basically we have given him a message. ‘Go and play domestic cricket and learn to play big innings’. Learn to turn your thirties and forties into hundreds for the team. Stop being selfish.’”
Akmal had not scored a Test century since making an impressive debut in 2009. He was dropped for the two Tests in New Zealand last year after a lean patch. He was recalled for the Tests in the West Indies, but was dropped from the Test squad against Sri Lanka after scoring only one half-century in 2011.
“To tell you the truth, I was chief selector when we dropped Umar for the Test series [against Sri Lanka], but even if I had been the coach I would have still dropped him,” Mohsin said. “He would not have found a place in my team.”
“It is not my team or the PCB’s team. It is Pakistan’s team and those who are selected must justify themselves no matter how good they are.”
Mohsin was appointed Pakistan’s interim coach to fill the vacancy created by Waqar Younis’ resignation after the Zimbabwe tour.
- Pakistan selectors retain Shoaib Malik for Sri Lanka series - Oct 03, 2011
- Pakistan start training for Sri Lanka series - Oct 12, 2011
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan team training at Lahore for England series - Jan 06, 2012
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Kamran must give stellar performance in domestic cricket to return to Pak team: Mohsin - Apr 07, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Can't drop Akmal in middle of World Cup: Waqar - Mar 09, 2011
- Pakistan leave for UAE to play against Sri Lanka - Oct 15, 2011
- Yusuf may be ignored from Pakistan's World Cup probables - Nov 30, 2010
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Malik axed from Pakistan's Asia Cup side; Jamshed, Sarfraz recalled - Mar 03, 2012
- Whatmore, Rhodes are contenders for Pakistan coach: Ashraf - Nov 29, 2011
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younus omitted from Pak squad for West Indies tour - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: domestic cricket, forties, impressive debut, interim coach, lean patch, mohsin khan, no doubt, pakistan, pcb, resignation, sri lanka, test century, test series, test squad, thirties, uae, vacancy, west indies, zimbabwe, zimbabwe tour