Stephanie Rice cuts back on butterfly training to take care of shoulder injuryMarch 4th, 2009 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 04 (ANI): Olympic gold medallist Stephanie Rice is currently looking after her shoulder injury to make certain that it doesnt worsen.
Rice cut back on her butterfly training in a bid to avert aggravating an inflamed right shoulder.
However, her coach Michael Bohl is confident the problem is not serious, and will not prevent Rice from contesting her heavy program at the trials, starting in Sydney on March 17.
“It just flares up from time to time,”” the Daily Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“We have just got to keep an eye on it. We have had to adjust things a little bit because of it. She is not doing quite as much fly as we would like, but it hasn”t interrupted her too much. Hopefully it should be right. We have just got to make sure she is getting the right physio and getting the right treatment for it, he added.
Bohl even revealed that Rice had the same problem with her shoulder leading into the Beijing Olympics, but it had settled with physiotherapy.
“It has been lingering a little bit, she has had it on and off. It (the bursa) gets inflamed and causes a little bit of aggravation when she recovers,”” Bohl said.
Meanwhile, Rice has entered seven events at the trials: 200m and 400m individual medley, 200m freestyle, 100m and 200m butterfly, 100m freestyle and 100m backstroke.
She is unlikely to race all of the 100m events beyond the heats. (ANI)
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Shoulder injury may keep Oz swimmer Rice out of Commonwealth Games - Aug 19, 2010
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Australian swimmer Rice pulls out of CWG - Aug 20, 2010
- Teenage swimming sensation Seebohm to spearhead Oz challenge at CWG - Aug 27, 2010
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Ill Oz Olympic swimming star Rice may skip Rome world championships - Jul 18, 2009
- Olympic champion Rice happy to focus on preparation - Jul 24, 2012
- Oz swimming star Rice may go for shoulder surgery - Aug 10, 2010
- South Africa's Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup - Oct 09, 2011
- Oz Olympic legend backs swimming champ Rice to make golden return - Aug 21, 2010
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: 100m, aggravation, beijing olympics, bohl, bursa, butterfly, daily telegraph, fly, gold medallist, individual medley, little bit, march 17, melbourne, olympic gold, olympics, physio, physiotherapy, shoulder injury, stephanie rice, sydney