Stay away from drugs, Dharmendra tells Punjabi youthFebruary 8th, 2011 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 8 (IANS) Yesteryears’ star Dharmendra Tuesday advised young Punjabis to stay away from drugs and to concentrate on sports that require physical stamina and energy.”Many Punjabi youths are falling prey to drugs. This is one of the major reasons why Punjabis are not performing at par with their Haryana counterparts in international tournaments,” Dharmendra told reporters here Tuesday.
“I appeal to Punjab youths to stay away from drugs and divert their minds by indulging in tough games that require a lot of energy. I have come to Punjab to inaugurate an international-level wrestling tournament and I am very happy to become part of this initiative,” he added.
Dharmendra, who was known as ‘Garam-Dharam’ in Bollywood, will inaugurate a Feb 10-12 wrestling event Shaheed Bahagat Singh International Wrestling Tournament, at Jalandhar.
According to the organisers, as many as 300 wrestlers from 20 countries are participating in the cash-rich tournament in which Rs.30 lakh would be distributed among the top three players.
Dharmendra had spent his early life in Punjab’s Sahnewal village which has now become a town near Punjab’s industrial city Ludhiana. His father was a school headmaster.
Dharmendra also had some advice for the Indian cricket team for the forthcoming World Cup.
“I wish them best of luck. I want India to repeat the 1983 feat of Kapil Dev-led team. They should play with full aggression and then sky would be the limit for them,” he said.
- If 'Yamla...' does well, will bring its sequel: Sunny Deol - Jan 09, 2011
- Punjab Games to have rich cash incentives - Nov 10, 2010
- Balle balle! Punjabi music is flavour of Bollywood - Mar 09, 2011
- Doping taint hurts kabaddi anti-drug campaign - Nov 15, 2011
- Ashwariya is new dream girl, says Hema Malini - Jun 28, 2011
- Aishwarya is more than a dream girl: Hema Malini (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Pray for Dara Singh, says Dharmendra - Jul 10, 2012
- Bhajji on wrestling show - Dec 22, 2011
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- Dharmendra: A ‘He Man’ Cannot Afford To Be Old! - Dec 30, 2010
- Every sport needs an icon: Suniel Shetty - Mar 26, 2012
- Kabaddi World Cup - it's all about being Punjabi - Apr 06, 2010
- Punjabi industry lacks cinema knowledge, says comedian Ghuggi - Oct 06, 2011
- Gill inaugurates wrestling stadium in New Delhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Actor Dharmendra admitted to hospital, discharged (Lead) - Mar 17, 2010
Tags: aggression, counterparts, dharam, dharmendra, drugs, forthcoming world, indian cricket team, initiative, jalandhar, lakh, organisers, physical stamina, prey, punjabis, s industrial, school headmaster, world cup, wrestlers, wrestling tournament, yesteryears