St. Louis Cardinals Acquires Lance Berkman With $8 Million DealDecember 5th, 2010 - 7:49 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
St. Louis, Dec 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Free-agent outfielder/first baseman Lance Berkman would be seen playing for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2011 season after the player signed a deal worth $8 million with the team. The news that the former Houston Astros player is all set play for the St. Louis Cardinals was affirmed by the team officials on Saturday and it was also revealed that Lance Berkman would play left field for the Cardinals. The brand new addition to St. Louis Cardinals comes just ahead of the winter meetings in which the outfielder is likely to play a significant role in providing an impetus to the defense of the team.
In a statement that was released by John Mozeliak, the General Manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, it was written that the team is ‘extremely excited to have added Lance Berkman to our ballclub.’ At the same time, John Mozeliak also described the former New York Yankees first baseman as an ‘impact player’ who would not only be instrumental in solidifying the team’s everyday lineup as well as brining a wealth of experience to the team. Meanwhile, the deal that was signed with Lance Berkman came on the heels of a busy week for the St. Louis Cardinals who also acquired left-handed reliever Brian Tallet and Dodgers player Ryan Theriot earlier this week.
A five-time All-Star, Lance Berkman is known to hold the NFL record for scoring the maximum number of RBI attained by a switch-hitter with 136. The 34-year-old outfielder/first baseman has 327 home runs to his credit along with 1099 RBI in 1,629 games in his career.
- Lance Berkman On Verge Of Joining New York Yankees - Jul 31, 2010
- Cardinals paint the town red with their World Series parade - Oct 31, 2011
- NL wild card chase: Cardinals tied with Atlanta - Sep 28, 2011
- Pitcher Jake Westbrook Traded To St. Louis Cardinals - Aug 01, 2010
- Detroit Tigers Acquire Jhonny Peralta - Jul 29, 2010
- Los Angeles Dodgers Manager Joe Torre Not To Return Next Season - Sep 18, 2010
- Mark Loretta Hits Victory Run, Casey Blake Becomes Match Hero - Oct 09, 2009
- Los Angeles Dodgers Acquire Scott Podsednik - Jul 29, 2010
- Tony La Russa talks on the David Letterman show - Nov 01, 2011
- Chris Jakubauskas Suffers Injury Against Houston Astros - Apr 25, 2010
- Former Major League Pitcher Jeriome Robertson Dies - Jun 02, 2010
- Baseball player Mark DeRosa Traded To Cardinals - Jun 28, 2009
- NJIT professor projects 2011 Major League Baseball winners using math - Apr 02, 2011
- The Legacy Of Ozzie Smith Carries On At St. Louis - Jul 14, 2009
- Felipe Lopez Takes The Position Of A Pitcher For St. Louise Cardinals - Apr 18, 2010
Tags: brian tallet, dodgers, free agent outfielder, gina gomez, houston astros, impact player, impetus, lance berkman, maximum number, new addition, new york yankees, nfl record, rbi, ryan theriot, st louis cardinals, switch hitter, team officials, time john, winter meetings, yankees first baseman