St Andrews Golf Club honours ex-starNovember 13th, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
Edinburgh (Scotland), Nov 13(ANI): Spanish golfer Seve Ballesteros has been made an honorary member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, where he won the Open in 1984.
Ballesteros, three times Open champion and twice a Masters victor, has said that he hopes to play again after undergoing four operations for a brain tumour that nearly killed him.
“I sincerely hope I’ll be able to come back next year and be part of the 150th anniversary of the Open Championship,” The Mirror quoted Ballesteros, as saying.
Part of a gifted golfing family, Ballesteros had won five major tournaments between the years of 1979 and 1988. He was also successful in the Ryder Cup, helping the European team to five wins both as a player and captain.
The 52-year-old struggled with form during the 1990s due to back-related injuries, but continues to be involved with the game, creating the Seve Trophy and running a golf course design business.
He eventually retired from competitive golf in 2007 due to poor form.Ballesteros was diagnosed with a brain tumour in October 2008. In June 2009, he made his first public appearance after undergoing a number of chemotherapy treatments. He then said that it was a “miracle” to be alive. (ANI)
- Legendary golfer Seve Ballesteros loses battle with brain tumour - May 07, 2011
- Seeing death coming "very difficult" experience, says cancer-survivor Ballesteros - Jul 10, 2010
- Ballesteros' call inspirational for European golf team ahead of Ryder Cup: Montgomerie - Sep 30, 2010
- Pavin brings in F-16 fighter pilot to motivate US golf team ahead of Ryder Cup - Sep 30, 2010
- Poor prognosis for Seve Ballesteros following third brain surgery - Oct 24, 2008
- Seve Ballesteros Planning For A Comeback - Jul 19, 2009
- Olazabal set to be Europe captain for 2012 Ryder Cup - Dec 17, 2010
- `Don't feel sorry for me, I've had a good life,' Ballesteros - Oct 11, 2009
- "Lucky survivor" Ballesteros launches cancer foundation to help fellow sufferers - Jun 26, 2009
- Ballesteros seen in public for first time since brain surgery - May 04, 2009
- Concern grows for Ballesteros after second brain surgery in 48 hrs - Oct 17, 2008
- Golfer Ballesteros reported to be suffering from brain tumour - Oct 11, 2008
- Yuvraj has malignant tumour, being treated in the US - Feb 05, 2012
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Golfer Ballesteros gets brain tumour removed - Oct 16, 2008
Tags: 150th anniversary, ancient golf club, brain tumour, chemotherapy treatments, club honours, competitive golf, design business, edinburgh scotland, first public appearance, golf course design, honorary member, open champion, open championship, royal and ancient golf, royal and ancient golf club, ryder cup, seve ballesteros, seve trophy, st andrews golf, st andrews golf club