Sri Lankan ICL players can play in domestic matchesJanuary 19th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Jan 19 (ANI): Sri Lankan players contracted with the ICL can continue to play the domestic matches, according to Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge.
We have decided to continue with our earlier decision and to allow these players to play at the domestic level. However, they are banned to play at the national level, he said over telephone from Colombo.
Thus Sri Lankas new interim committee chairman S. Liyanagama has not overturned the decision taken by Arjuna Ranatunga, who came under heavy criticism when he revoked ban on ICL players, The Nation reported.
Marvan Atapattu, when approached at his Colombo residence, refused to say anything on this subject. Perhaps, he is fully aware about the fact that he cannot enter into the board administration without the blessings of the minister (read BCCI).
There is, however, a strong speculation that the ICL may eventually close down and buy one of the teams in the BCCI-run IPL.
The issue is likely to come under discussion at the ICC meeting scheduled to take play at Perth (Australia) on January 31 and Feb.1
Sri Lankas Sports Minister also clarified he would not name the new SLC chairman until the home series against India goes underway.
Why do we need a new chairman now? The one-man committee is doing a good work for the board, the minister said.
Sri Lankan Cricket (SLC) board is yet to confirm the four out of five ODIs in the forthcoming series India would be day night affairs.
The one Twenty20 would be a night game, said Lankan board official. (ANI)
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka sports minister irked at ban being lifted on ICL players - Sep 22, 2008
- Sri Lanka willing to host India ahead of Pakistan tour - Jan 04, 2009
- Sri Lanka wants to host India amid Pakistan tour (Supersedes earlier version) - Jan 04, 2009
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka sports minister says Pakistan tour is on (Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- IPL a monster that will destroy international cricket: Ranatunga - Jun 01, 2011
- First time India is playing so well here: Ranatunga - Feb 08, 2009
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: blessings, board administration, colombo, committee chairman, forthcoming series, gamini, India, interim committee, jan 19, night affairs, night game, odis, perth australia, ranatunga, speculation, Sports, sri lankan cricket, sri lankas, twenty20