Sri Lankan family visa for driver who saved Lankan cricketers during Lahore attackMarch 19th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar.19 (ANI): Mehar Khalil, the driver of the bus carrying the Sri Lankan cricket players which was attacked, has been given a 10 day family visa for Sri Lanka.
Following his heroic effort to save the Sri Lankan cricket team from the terror attack, Lankan players showered praise on Khalil and invited him to visit their country.
The Sri Lankan cricketers thanked Khalil for his keeping cool during the attack. Khalil reportedly pressed the accelerator of the bus to drive the players to safety when terrorists sprayed bullets from all directions. Sri Lankan bowler Muttiah Muralitharan had also gifted Khalil his shirt and cap. On Wednesday, recognizing Khalils bravery, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ijaz Butt had rewarded him with a cash prize of 500,000 rupees.
The state run Associated Newspapers of Ceylon had invited Khalil and his wife for a week-long holiday in Sri Lanka earlier. (ANI)
- Sri Lankan cricketers thank 'brave' driver - Mar 03, 2009
- Sri Lanka to end Pakistan's cricketing isolation with October series in country - Feb 25, 2011
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers thank 'brave' driver (Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- P. Sara Oval oozes history and tradition - Mar 28, 2011
- 'Spot-fixing' scam diverted attention from possible 'home games': Butt - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan mooting China as neutral venue for cricket - Dec 03, 2010
- PCB chief rubbishes claims of security lapses - Mar 05, 2009
- Growing demand for Ijaz Butt's removal as PCB chief - Sep 21, 2011
- They were just firing everywhere: Lahore eyewitness - Mar 03, 2009
- Muralitharan to play crucial role in Sri Lanka's CWG bid - Nov 04, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- PCB requests Sri Lankan board for full series Pak tour in 2011 - Feb 26, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
- PCB boss Butt mad over coach Waqar's 'harking to media' habits - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: accelerator, bravery, bullets, butt, cash prize, ceylon, cricket players, family visa, heroic effort, holiday in sri lanka, keeping cool, long holiday, mehar, muttiah muralitharan, pakistan cricket board, rupees, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, sri lankan cricketers, terror attack