Sri Lankan cricketers looking for early clarity on IPLMarch 22nd, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, March 22 (IANS) Sri Lankan cricketers playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) next month are looking for early clarity on when and where the lucrative tournament would be held, an official said Sunday.
“They (players) will be looking to the final outcome (on where this would be held). Hosting in South Africa or England would not be an issue at all from the security point of view. The grand game is just three weeks away and there should be some clarity soon,” cricket manager Charlie Austin told IANS.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced that the second edition of the Twenty20 IPL will be played outside the country because state governments have expressed their inability to provide security to the tournament as it clashes with the general elections.
Austin conceded that unlike in India, there would be a less crowd watching the match directly and it would be “an obvious cause for much concern for the sponsors and organisers”.
“The IPL authorities would certainly be aware of the timing of the matches to ensure that they do not lose millions of viewers and fans in the Asian region, where cricket is just more than a game,” he said.
Sri Lanka’s skipper Kumar Sangakkara, his deputy Muttiah Muralitharan, Mahela Jayawardene, Sanath Jayasuriya, Farvez Maharoof, Tilakaratne Dilshan, Dilhara Fernando and Ajantha Mendis are some of the key players who have signed three-year contracts with the IPL.
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Ageing Jayasuriya among Sri Lanka's probables for T20 World Cup - Apr 04, 2009
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against Canada - Feb 20, 2011
- New Zealand face daunting task against Sri Lanka (Preview) - Mar 28, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Australia - Mar 05, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand in World T20 opener - May 01, 2010
- New Zealand to bat against Sri Lanka - Mar 29, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand - Mar 18, 2011
- Jayasuriya dropped from Sri Lankan squad - Dec 30, 2009
- Champions Trophy: South Africa put Sri Lanka in to bat - Sep 22, 2009
- Champions Trophy: England put Sri Lanka to bat - Sep 25, 2009
- Sri Lanka, New Zealand aim to end group stage on a high (Preview) - Mar 17, 2011
- Sri lanka opt to bat against India - Feb 08, 2009
Tags: ajantha, asian region, clarity, clashes, colombo, cricket manager, dilhara fernando, general elections, grand game, india bcci, ipl, jayasuriya, kumar sangakkara, mahela jayawardene, mendis, premier league, security point, skipper, sri lankan, state governments