Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacleJanuary 19th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 19 (IANS) Stung by the series loss in Tests and ODIs in South Africa, the Sri Lankan sports ministry is planning a wide-ranging overhaul in Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) by sacking coach Geoff Marsh, captain Tillekaratne Dishan and the entire selection panel ahead of the tour to Australia later this month.
The Daily Mirror reported that Dilshan will be replaced by Mahela Jayawardene, Marsh by former South African national coach Graham Ford and the national selection panel headed by Duleep Mendis will be replaced by a new set headed by Asantha de Mel.
Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage said new selectors would pick the team for the Australia tour.
“We are in the process of naming the new selectors. We are going to take all these decisions in consultation with SLC. I could have taken these decisions in a hurry, if it was an interim committee I had appointed. But, it is only right that I consult them and let them decide what to do as it is a democratically elected, independent body that controls SLC now,” the minister said.
“I have asked SLC to submit me a report on the poor performance of the team in the current South African tour. Once I get this report into my hands, I will decide on appropriate action to take,” Aluthgamage added.
The daily also said that besides De Mel, the other members of the selection panel could be Hemantha Wickramaratne, Kapila Wijegunawardena and Amal Silva.
“Mendis will be appointed as the national team manager, a position the former Sri Lanka captain held with distinction when Sri Lanka won the 1996 World cup in 1996. Mendis will replace the present manager Anura Tennekoon, himself a highly respected former All Ceylon captain,” the daily reported.
The report also said that batting coach Marvan Atapattu, a former captain, will probably be retained and will tour with the team in Australia as an assistant coach.
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricket board backs sacking of Australian coach - Jan 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Rod Marsh is manager of Australia's cricket coaches - Dec 22, 2011
- Law set to join Bangladesh after England tour - Jun 27, 2011
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Geoff Marsh ends IPL stint to coach Sri Lanka - Sep 23, 2011
- Sri Lanka slash budget, put Australia tour in doubt - Jun 28, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Stuart Law named Sri Lanka coach for tour of England - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,