Sri Lanka to go ahead with Pakistan tour as scheduledDecember 26th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Dec 26 (IANS) Sri Lanka Friday confirmed that its proposed tour of Pakistan would take place as scheduled from Jan 20. Sri Lanka is replacing the Indian team which pulled out of the tour in the wake of the Nov 26 terror attack in Mumbai.The Sri Lankan foreign ministry said the decision was taken after President Mahinda Rajapaksa discussed the proposed tour with foreign minister Rohitha Bogollagama and sports minister Gamini Lokuge here Friday.
“Pursuant to this discussion, the foreign minister has recommended that the tour to Pakistan should proceed as scheduled from Jan 20 to Feb 25,” the ministry said in a statement.
India were to tour Pakistan in Jan-Feb to play three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match. However, the Indian government did not clear the tour in the wake of last month’s terror attacks in Mumbai, which it has blamed on Pakistan-based terrorists.
This resulted in the desperate Pakistan Cricket Board sending an invitation to Sri Lanka instead.
- Sri Lanka seek ICC security clearance for Pakistan tour (Lead) - Dec 26, 2008
- PCB happy after Sri Lanka clears cricket tour - Dec 26, 2008
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
- Pakistan cricket tour on schedule, says Sri Lanka sports minister - Dec 24, 2008
- India unhappy with Sri Lanka's cricket tour to Pakistan: Reports - Dec 28, 2008
- Sri Lanka sports minister says Pakistan tour is on (Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- Nirupama Rao to visit Sri Lanka today - Mar 06, 2010
- Sri Lanka wants to host India amid Pakistan tour (Supersedes earlier version) - Jan 04, 2009
- PCB to request Zardari to save home series against Sri Lanka - Dec 24, 2008
- Sri Lanka willing to host India ahead of Pakistan tour - Jan 04, 2009
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- India to play five one-dayers in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- India-Pakistan break the ice on cricketing ties (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- (VM) India-Pakistan to revive cricketing ties after 5 years (Third Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka condemns terror attack on cricketers, Rajapaksa cuts Nepal visit (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2009