Sri Lanka thrash India by 10 wickets in Galle TestJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
Galle, July 22 (ANI): Sri Lanka on Thursday thrashed India by 10 wickets in the first Test at the Galle International stadium here to take a 1-0 lead in the three match series.
Chasing a target of only 95 on the fifth and final day of the Test, Sri Lankan openers Tharanga Paranavitana (23 not out) and Tillakaratne Dilshan (68 not out) overhauled it in 14.1 overs.
Following on, India was bowled out for 338 in their second innings in reply to Sri Lanka’s first innings total of 520 for eight declared.
Resuming the day at 181 for five, India lost early wickets in the form of skipper M.S. Dhoni (four) and Harbhajan Singh (eight).
However, V.V.S. Laxman (69) along with tailenders Ahimanyu Mithun (25) and Ishant Sharma (31 not out) fought back to stretch the game beyond the tea-break.
India had scored 272 in their first innings.
The historic Test match also saw magical Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan becoming the first ever bowler to take 800 Test wickets.
Muralitharan achieved the feat when he had last man Pragyan Ojha caught at slip by Mahela Jayawardene.
The 38-year-old will retire from Test cricket after the match
The two teams will play the second Test in Colombo, starting on July 26.
Brief Scorecard: Sri Lanka- Ist Innings: 520-8 declared (Paranavitana 111, Sangakkara 103, Mithun 4-105)
India- Ist Innings: 276 (Sehwag 109, Yuvraj 52, Muralitharan 5-63) IInd Innings: 338 (Tendulkar 84, Laxman 69, Malinga 5-50) (ANI)
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, Fifth Day, First Test - Jul 22, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, First Test - Jul 22, 2010
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, Day three, First Test - Jul 20, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, Day three, First Test - Jul 20, 2010
- Sri Lanka beat India by 10 wickets at Galle - Jul 22, 2010
- Murali's perfect eight in 10-wicket Sri Lanka win (Lead) - Jul 22, 2010
- Sehwag keep India in the game against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2010
- Sri Lanka declare first innings at 520/8 (Tea Report) - Jul 20, 2010
- Ishant strikes thrice as Sri Lanka make 361/6 (Lunch Report) - Jul 20, 2010
- India take 48 run lead, Muralitharan one short of 800 Test wickets (Lunch report) - Jul 22, 2010
- India 292/8 at lunch on day five - Jul 22, 2010
- Muralitharan edges closer to 800 Test wickets as India struggle (Lunch Report) - Jul 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka score 520/8 at tea against India - Jul 20, 2010
- Sri Lanka 32 runs away from win at tea - Jul 22, 2010
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Day 4, First Test - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: first test, galle international, harbhajan singh, last man, m s dhoni, mahela jayawardene, mithun, muttiah muralitharan, reply, scorecard, second test, sehwag, skipper, sri lankan, target, tea break, test cricket, test match, test wickets, v v s laxman