Sri Lanka slash budget, put Australia tour in doubtJune 28th, 2011 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 28 (IANS) Australia’s tour to Sri Lanka in August is in doubt after Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) trimmied its budget, specially the security bill which was slashed from $445,000 to just $81,000.
Though Sri Lankan Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage assured that security would not be compromised, Cricket Australia (CA) is not taking any chances.
The Australian daily reported that a team from the CA and the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) has returned from a pre-tour inspection in the past fortnight and was satisfied with the promised security arrangements, but is closely monitoring talk of cutbacks.
The CA said Monday night that it has received verbal assurances from the Sri Lankan board that the security for players and staff would not be affected.
The daily reported that “Australians were promised similar security arrangements to this year’s World Cup when they revisit Sri Lanka for the first Test tour since 2004 and will not travel if they are not provided.”
The CA and the ACA were waiting to see if Sri Lanka delivered on its promises when the memorandum of understanding is signed off in coming weeks.
“In our view, the details of the arrangements were appropriate. We haven’t received any advice since then and we will be speaking with them in due course as we always do. What they have promised is acceptable and we are not aware of any deviation. Last night we received assurances from Sri Lankan cricket that nothing had changed, and we are happy with that,” a CA spokesman was quoted as saying by the daily.
“Our longstanding policy remains the same, we don’t go anywhere unless we are satisfied it is appropriate to do so,” the spokesperson said.
ACA chief executive Paul Marsh said the agreement the CA and the ACA have with Sri Lanka is that the security measures for the upcoming tour will be comparable to those provided for the recent ICC World Cup games staged there.
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka to ban sportsmen refusing to represent country - Jun 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka Cricket to trim staff by 60 percent - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Australia boycott of Sri Lanka will hit world cricket: Muralidharan - Jul 14, 2011
- Sri Lankan Cricket left with huge 23 m dollar debt after World Cup - Apr 12, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Sri Lanka warns life ban on doping sportsmen - Jun 23, 2012
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Hashan should work with ACSU and board to find match-fixing culprits: Sangakkara - May 02, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: aca, assurances, australia tour, australian cricketers association, australians, cricket australia, first test, fortnight, icc world cup, longstanding policy, memorandum of understanding, paul marsh, security arrangements, security bill, security measures, slc, spokesperson, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricket, world cup games