Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolvedJuly 1st, 2011 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 1 (IANS) Sri Lanka’s sports ministry has dissolved the interim committee running the country’s cricket board and will be announcing a new panel.
Sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage took the decision amid media allegations of corruption in Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).
“It was only last month that the Supreme Court ordered the present SLC interim committee, which was under heavy media criticism, especially due to financial mismanagement, that it should provide reasons for not holding elections or to decide on dates for fresh elections,” according to a report in The Island Friday.
Present SLC chairman, D.S. de Silva and his secretary, Nishantha Ranatunga were in Hong Kong to attend the ICC executive board meeting.
SLC media manager Brian Thomas said: “The board has been dissolved. The government have not told us the reason why but this particular interim committee has served its two years.”
The outgoing panel was appointed in April 2009 mainly to oversee the co-hosting of the World Cup along with India and Bangladesh.
SLC has been run by a succession of interim committees chosen by the country’s sports ministry for seven years.
“It was believed that the new interim committee would start functioning from today,” the report said.
The ICC in its executive committee meeting has said that member boards will have to be free from government and political interference within two years.
“In the next 12 months, boards should be working towards free elections and we will assess the matter again at the 2012 annual conference,” ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said.
- Sri Lanka forms new interim cricket committee - Jul 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket appoints Lorgat as advisor - Jul 31, 2012
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka's bankrupt cricket board dissolved - Nov 15, 2011
- Sri Lanka slash budget, put Australia tour in doubt - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistan unhappy with cricket's FTP - Dec 01, 2010
- Sri Lankan sports minister sets up panel for Tharanga's dope case - May 30, 2011
- ICC makes further progress towards Test, ODI leagues - Dec 01, 2010
- Sri Lanka Cricket to trim staff by 60 percent - Jun 07, 2012
- Sangakkara slams Sri Lankan cricket administration - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: allegations, board meeting, brian thomas, committee meeting, cricket board, de silva, executive committee, financial mismanagement, free elections, interim committee, interim committees, media criticism, member boards, political interference, ranatunga, s sports, seven years, sports ministry, sri lanka cricket, world cup