Sri Lanka cricket board ordered to release IPL-contracted playersOctober 9th, 2008 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 9 (IANS) Sri Lanka’s sports minister has ordered the interim governing body of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) to leave out the IPL-contracted players while selecting a team for the England tour, scheduled for May 2009. These cricketers can now play in the lucrative Indian tournament instead.Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge, who has been speaking for 13 Sri Lankan players who signed the contracts with the Indian Premier League (IPL) well before the SLC agreed to the England tour next year in place of Zimbabwe, gave this instruction at a meeting with the SLC interim body Wednesday.
“I told them (SLC member) to release the 13 IPL-contracted Sri Lanka players to play IPL tournament and select a team with the remaining group of players, who are also equally talented, for the England tour,” Lokuge told IANS Thursday.
Asked whether the England Cricket Board (ECB) would agree to a second-level team from Sri Lanka, Lokuge said: “If there is any problem it should discussed and sorted out”.
“I understand that their (ECB) television rights and income for the proposed tournament could be jeopardised if you do not send the star players. That is why I told them (SLC) to talk to the ECB and find a way out at the earliest, if England finds it difficult to play with the team we select and send,” the sports minister said, stressing that the IPL-contracted players should not be disturbed in any way.
According to reports, SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga, who was virtually at loggerheads with the sports minister on this issue, was absent at Wednesday’s meeting as he was reportedly out of the country.
Sri Lanka are due to play two Tests and three one-dayers in England next May. The timetable clashes with the 2009 IPL tournament.
The players argue that the IPL contracts had been signed long before the idea of a tour to England was mooted and want to go ahead with their initial commitments.
The sports minister’s decision has virtually ended the month-long crisis for SLC to decide between IPL and the England tour.
Skipper Mahela Jayawardane, Muttiah Muralitharan, Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara, Pervez Mahroof, Thilakaratne Dishan and Dilhara Fernando are some of the key players who have signed three-year contracts with the IPL. The 38-year-old left-handed Sanath Jayasuriya is the third highest paid player of the IPL.
Sri Lanka’s 23-year old new spin sensation, Ajantha Mendis, has also signed up with the Kolkata Knight Riders for three years.
- Sri Lanka to ban sportsmen refusing to represent country - Jun 11, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- Between IPL and England tour, Sri Lanka cricket crisis deepens - Sep 06, 2008
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Stuart Law named Sri Lanka coach for tour of England - Apr 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka orders its IPL cricketers to return home - Apr 13, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- ECB signs seven-year deal with ESPN Star - Jun 04, 2012
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Malinga's decision to play in lucrative IPL, but not Tests 'awkward': Duleep Mendis - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka sports minister irked at ban being lifted on ICL players - Sep 22, 2008
- Ranatunga boiling hot over IPL, England tour controversy - Sep 07, 2008