Sri Lanka cricket appoints Lorgat as advisorJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 31 (IANS) The Sri Lankan Cricket (SLC) Tuesday appointed former International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat as a special advisor to the board.
Lorgat, who concluded his term at the ICC at the end of June 2012, has agreed to work with the Sri Lankan cricket board in an advisory capacity till October 31, 2012, reports Xinhua.
In confirming the appointment, SLC president Upali Dharmadasa said that Lorgat has a wealth of knowledge and experience and so the board is delighted that he has agreed to work with them to improve the governance and administration of cricket in Sri Lanka.
Cricket is a popular sport in the country but the administration of the game has been tainted with allegations of mismanagement resulting in the board facing financial difficulties.
“As a board we are determined to tackle the challenges we face and to exploit the opportunities for the betterment of Sri Lankan cricket. Mr. Lorgat is a seasoned administrator and I am excited that with his expertise we can work towards building a strong and sustainable future for Sri Lankan cricket,” Dharmadasa said.
Lorgat, in confirming his appointment has stated that no one will dispute that Sri Lanka is among the leading cricket countries in the world and that he is eager to assist it to tackle its issues and improve its standing in the world of cricket.
“He has also stated that in his view he has built up good knowledge and experience over the years and is willing to share this for the benefit of the game. Furthermore, for the game of cricket and the ICC to be stronger, members need to be strong,” the board said.
- Sri Lanka forms new interim cricket committee - Jul 02, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricket board backs sacking of Australian coach - Jan 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- No DRS for Australia-Sri Lanka series for lack of sponsor - Jul 15, 2011
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- Galle pitch not dangerous, says Sri Lanka cricket chief - Sep 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka to boost domestic cricket - Sep 03, 2012
- ICC board proposes Dave Richardson as CEO - May 10, 2012
- SLC provides ICC with cricket corruption tapes - Aug 13, 2012
- ICC pays delayed salaries of Sri Lankan cricketers - Dec 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka-Windies Test series falls victim to IPL - Sep 12, 2012
- Mahindra to sponsor Sri Lanka Premier League - Aug 08, 2012
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: advisory capacity, allegations, betterment, colombo, countries in the world, cricket board, financial difficulties, governance, haroon lorgat, international cricket council, mismanagement, october 31, popular sport, slc, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricket, sustainable future, upali, wealth of knowledge, xinhua