Sreesanth replaces injured Praveen Kumar in India’s World Cup squad (Lead)February 8th, 2011 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Temperamental fast bowler Shantakumaran Sreesanth Tuesday replaced injured medium pacer Praveen Kumar in the 15-member India squad for the World Cup. “The national selectors have picked Sreesanth as Praveen Kumar’s replacement in the Indian team for the tournament. The ICC has confirmed that Praveen Kumar can be replaced in the squad by S. Sreesanth,” Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary N. Srinivasan said in a statement.
Praveen has failed to recover from an elbow injury to his bowling arm and after a fitness test Monday at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, the selectors decided not to risk the Uttar Pradesh bowler.
Sreesanth also took a fitness test along with Praveen at the NCA.
“It is a great opportunity for me. I don’t want to let down my team. I have done well in the last few months and have to carry on with the good work,” Sreesanth said.
Praveen picked up the injury at the start of the ODI series in South Africa and was sent back home to recover at the NCA. He also rushed to London to take advice from eminent surgeon Andrew Wallace, who had treated Sachin Tendulkar in the past.
Sreesanth, however, will be closely monitored by the team management. He was rebuked by captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni during the series in South Africa and was also fined 10 percent of his match fees by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for showing dissent during the third Test in Cape Town.
Sreesanth bowled well in the Test series in South Africa. Though he was not part of the ODI series in South Africa, he picked up seven wickets in the two ODIs he played against New Zealand at home late last year.
- Sreesanth to replace injured Praveen Kumar in Indian squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Praveen Kumar doubtful for World Cup - Feb 07, 2011
- Sreesanth replaces injured Praveen Kumar in Indian WC squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Selectors have to take a call on Harbhajan - Oct 28, 2011
- Zaheer, Sreesanth out of West Indies Test series (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Don't want to mess up the godsent opportunity: Sreesanth (Interview, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 10, 2011
- Sreesanth's exclusion leaves Kerala cricket lovers disappointed - Jan 17, 2011
- Lively Sabina Park track a test for injury-plagued India against Windies - Jun 19, 2011
- Praveen Kumar ruled out of Australia series - Nov 29, 2011
- Rohit out, Chawla in: No other surprises in World Cup squad (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Ishant to replace injured Praveen for ODI series - Jan 11, 2011
- Kirsten concerned about 'highly skilled' Sreesanth - Apr 05, 2011
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- Sehwag still to report fit for England series - Jul 01, 2011
- Tendulkar out of South Africa series, Parthiv to fly in (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: andrew wallace, bowling arm, elbow injury, eminent surgeon, fitness test, india bcci, international cricket council, mahendra singh dhoni, medium pacer, national cricket academy, national selectors, odi series, odis, s sreesanth, seven wickets, srinivasan, team management, test series, third test, world cup squad