Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclistFebruary 7th, 2012 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Lausanne (Switzerland), Feb 7 (IANS/EFE) Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador will lose his 2010 Tour de France title and be excluded from this year’s Tour as well as the 2012 Olympics, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said Monday in its decision in a doping case that began 18 months ago.
Contador has a period of 30 days to appeal to Switzerland’s federal court, CAS Secretary-General Matthieu Reeb said in Lausanne.
The CAS imposed a two-year suspension on the Spaniard, but the sanction applies retroactively to Jan 25, 2011, and is reduced by nearly six months in recognition of the provisional suspension Contador served last year.
He will be able to return to competition Aug 5, 2012, the CAS said.
Unless the suspension is overturned, he will miss both the 2012 Tour de France and the London Olympics.
Contador, who won the Tour de France in 2007 and 2009, tested positive for the performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol on the way to his victory in the 2010 Tour. He said he inadvertently consumed the substance July 21 of that year by eating contaminated meat.
The cyclist was cleared of wrongdoing by Spain’s cycling federation Feb 15, but the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Cycling Union appealed the ruling to the Lausanne-based CAS, which finally heard the case last November.
Besides losing his 2010 Tour de France title, Contador will also be stripped of his triumph in the 2011 Giro d’Italia.
Reeb said that the Contador case is not completely closed, since the CAS must still take its decision, by a date not yet determined, on the International Cycling Union’s demand that the Spaniard be fined at least 2.48 million euros ($3.26 million).
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich banned for 2 years - Feb 09, 2012
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Tour de France champion cyclist Contador cleared of doping charges - Feb 16, 2011
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Tour de France champ Contador vows to fight doping charge, possible suspension - Jan 29, 2011
- 'Dope-smeared' Tour de France champ claims to be a 'food contamination' victim - Oct 01, 2010
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Ex-world cycling champion Rasmussen gets 18-month ban - Jul 05, 2012
- Tony Martin eyes time trial medal at Olympics - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Biological passport' that measures blood, body chemistry may put dent in sports doping - May 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,