Sporting notches seventh consecutive win in EuropeMarch 30th, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lisbon, March 30 (IANS) Sporting Lisbon added another victory to their streak of seven wins in European competitions as the Portuguese team defeated Metalist Kharkiv from Ukraine 2-1 in the Europa League quarterfinals.
Sporting are in fifth place in the Portuguese championship and have few possibilities to be in the first three places that will give the right to play at next year Champions League. If Sporting beats Kharkiv in the second leg, it will be the fifth European semi-final in the club’s history.
Metalist arrived in Lisbon having the best attack of the Europa League, with 25 goals. In the first half Metalist players had the control of the match, with more ball possession. But there were few scoring opportunities for both sides, Xinhua reported.
Sporting came to the second half playing faster, with more focus on attack and the change of attitude made the difference for the hosts. Midfielder Marat Izmailov scored from a swift counter-attacking move to give Sporting the lead in the 50th minute.
Argentine wing back Insua scored from a free kick in the 64th minute to double Sporting’s lead.
In the 90th minute, Sporting goalkeeper Rui Patricio brought down Devich inside the box. Claiton Xavier took the penalty and scored to give the Ukranian side a crucial away goal.
- Sporting bet Athletic in first leg of Europa semis - Apr 20, 2012
- Athletic Bilbao qualify for Europa League final - Apr 27, 2012
- Leverkusen held to goalless draw by Kharkiv - Sep 21, 2012
- Portugal lose last friendly before the Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Three Spanish clubs eye Europa League semis - Apr 04, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Former Portugal striker Pinto fined for tax evasion - Sep 11, 2012
- Sporting Lisbon edge past Manchester City - Mar 09, 2012
- Porto beat Benfica to lead Portuguese league - Mar 03, 2012
- Benfica in Champions League quarters after six years - Mar 07, 2012
- Germany's Gomez got lucky: Portugal coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Anzhi draw Liverpool, Udinese in Europa League - Sep 01, 2012
- I expected more from the Poles: Russia's Izmailov - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: champions league, change of attitude, europe, european competitions, free kick, hosts, izmailov, kharkiv, match, notches, portuguese championship, possession, possibilities, quarterfinals, second half, sporting lisbon, ukraine, victory, xavier, xinhua