Sport ministry announces Rs. 10 lakh cash award for AnandMay 31st, 2012 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) The union sports ministry has announced a Rs. 10 lakh cash award for Viswanathan Anand, crowned the World Chess Champion for the fifth time.
“We have a cash award for any sportsperson who wins in Asian Championships, Worlds, Olympics or any other major event. So, on the basis of that we have decided to give Rs. 10 lakh as a cash award to Anand. It is a standard policy followed by the ministry,” Sports Minister Ajay Maken said here Thursday.
Anand beat Israel’s Boris Gelfand in Moscow on Wednesday.
- Anand deserves Bharat Ratna but final call PM's: Maken - May 31, 2012
- Anand not to lobby for Bharat Ratna - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- You've made the nation proud: PM to Anand - May 30, 2012
- World champion Anand gets grand welcome - Jun 03, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand to defend world title in Chennai - Jul 13, 2011
- PM congratulates Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- Kasparov trying since 2011 to get me to retire: Anand - Jun 03, 2012
- Family celebrates Anand's historic feat in Moscow (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- World Chess: Anand draws his second game with Gelfand again - May 13, 2012
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
Tags: ajay maken, anand, asian championships, boris gelfand, chess, fifth time, israel, lakh, moscow, New Delhi, olympics, sports ministry, sportsperson, union sports, viswanathan, world chess champion