Spanish matador gored during bullfightApril 26th, 2010 - 11:31 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 26 (IANS/EFE) A Spanish bullfighter was gored during a bullfight in Mexico and is now in a serious condition after losing litres of blood.
Jose Tomas was seriously injured when one of the bull’s horns penetrated his body “some 15 centimetres”, piercing his upper left thigh and damaging the superficial and deeper femoral veins and the iliac vein, an official said Sunday after the fight in Mexico’s Aguascalientes.
Tomas continues to be in “very serious” shape in and had to undergo a a three-and-a-half-hour-long emergency surgery, he said, adding that he is stable and reacting well after the operation.
The matador remains in the intensive care unit at the Hidalgo Hospital in Aguascalientes.
He lost a lot of blood and authorities present at the bullring asked audience to donate blood.
The Spanish bullfighter had earlier also suffered a serious goring in 1996.
- Matador Gored By Bull In Madrid, Fighting For Life - May 23, 2010
- Mexico City mulls bullfighting ban - Mar 24, 2012
- Matador Arrested After Fleeing From Bullring - Jun 16, 2010
- Nissan to build new $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- Now listen to complete 'Don Quixote' on YouTube - Mar 23, 2011
- Nissan expects production boost from $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jul 11, 2012
- Man killed while stealing fuel from Mexico pipeline - Apr 18, 2011
- Animal rights activists protest bullfighting in Colombia - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Sophisticated' tunnel found under US-Mexico border - May 11, 2011
- Five held with spying gear in Mexico - Sep 21, 2010
- Mexican senators keen to ban bullfights - Apr 27, 2011
- Huge crowds at running of bulls in Spanish city - Jul 11, 2011
- Partially clad demonstrators oppose bullfighting - Feb 08, 2011
- Two gored in Spain bull running - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: aguascalientes, audience, authorities, bullfight in mexico, bullfight mexico city, bullring, emergency surgery, hidalgo, horns, iliac vein, intensive care unit, jose tomas, mj, shape, spanish bullfighter, veins