Spanish football mourns Miki Roque’s deathJune 25th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, June 25 (IANS) Spanish football is mourning the death of Betis defender Miguel ‘Miki’ Roque Farrero, who passed away as a result of bone cancer Sunday, aged just 23 years old.
Roque had spent time with English Premier League side, Liverpool, before signing for Betis in 2009, reported Xinhua.
He announced his retirement in March 2011 as the result of a malignant tumour in his pelvis.
His club Betis published a communique expressing its “tremendous sadness” for Roque’s death and those sentiments were echoed throughout Spain.
Spain coach Vicente del Bosque, who is currently with the national side in the European Championships, sent a message of condolence.
“We are all upset as it is something that you never expect to happen, even though we knew it was serious, even more so in a young sportsman such as Roque. We want to send an embrace to all of the boy’s family and friends and also to his club and its supporters,” added Del Bosque, while members of the Spain squad used their “Twitter” accounts to send their sympathy.
“It is very sad, I want to send my sympathies to the family of Miki Roque,” published Andres Iniesta, while Sergio Ramos wrote, “Life is unfair, I really can’t find the words,” over the death of the young defender.
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World Cup - Sep 08, 2011
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: 23 years, andres iniesta, bone cancer, embrace, english premier league, family and friends, liverpool, malignant tumour, message of condolence, miki, pelvis, roque, sadness, sentiments, sergio ramos, spanish football, sportsman, sympathies, vicente del bosque, xinhua