Spanish Cup: Messi puts Barcelona on road to quartersJanuary 7th, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Jan 7 (DPA) Lionel Messi gave one of the best performances of his promising career in Madrid, scoring a handsome hat-trick as Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 3-1 in a one-sided fifth round, first leg clash in the Spanish Cup.The Argentine youngster confirmed his status as one of football’s brightest stars, at the same time that Barca confirmed their status as the top team in Spain.
Messi missed Barca’s 3-1 defeat of Mallorca Saturday because he returned late from vacation. On Tuesday, he made up for lost time by driving the flat Atletico defence crazy.
After just eight minutes, the flying Messi was pulled down for a clear penalty by John Heitinga, but it was not given by referee Eduardo Iturralde.
Five minutes later Messi played a clever one-two with right-back Daniel Alves, and made it 1-0 with a low left-foot shot.
On a cold night in Madrid, Barca continued to dominate, despite coach Josep Guardiola fielding only one of the players who started against Mallorca.
In the 57th minute, Heitinga clumsily pulled down Messi again, and was sent off. Messi calmly converted the resulting penalty to make it 2-0.
In the 70th minute, Atletico defender Tomas Ujfalusi headed in a corner to make it 2-1. Eleven minutes later, Messi - who had just hit the Atletico bar - completed his hat-trick by skipping around Atletico keeper Gregory Coupet and making it 3-1 with his right foot.
The game finished with the near-capacity crowd applauding Messi, while baying for the blood of coach Javier Aguirre.
- Barca crush Atletico, Real thrash Rayo - Sep 25, 2011
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Real Madrid steer seven points clear of Barcelona - Jan 29, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Real Madrid, Barcelona win easy in La Liga - Jan 23, 2012
- Messi becomes Barcelona's all-time leading scorer - Mar 21, 2012
- Real beat luckless Atletico, stay one point behind Barca - Nov 08, 2009
- Barcelona head Real by one point after late draw - Nov 01, 2009
- Barca beat Gijon 3-1 without Messi - Mar 04, 2012
- Real cruise as Barca lose in Spanish football - Nov 27, 2011
- Barcelona start 2009 with win over Mallorca (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2009
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Real Madrid retain 10-point lead over Barcelona - Feb 27, 2012
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012