Spanish court reopens Operation Puerto caseFebruary 15th, 2008 - 8:53 pm ICT by admin
Madrid, Feb 15 (DPA) A court in Spain ordered Thursday the reopening of the Operation Puerto investigation into a doping ring in cycling, Spain’s leading sports authority CSD said. The case had been closed last year, but prosecutors had asked an appeals court to review the decision.
Operation Puerto was launched after raids in which police found large quantities of anabolic sterooids, equipment used for blood transfusions and more than 200 bags of blood linked to more than 50 cyclists.
Riders implicated in the affair include former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich and Giro d’Italia winner Ivan Basso.
A court had ruled last March that Spain’s new anti-doping laws could not be applied retroactively to May 2006, when the bags of frozen blood and doping equipment were seized in the raids.
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich banned for 2 years - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Biological passport' that measures blood, body chemistry may put dent in sports doping - May 08, 2010
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Cyclist Armstrong confirms Giro start despite injury - Apr 17, 2009
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- Lance Armstrong part of elaborate doping system in cycling, claims drug cheat Landis - May 20, 2010
- Crackdown on chemist shops near NIS, Patiala - Jul 06, 2011
- Tour de France champ Contador vows to fight doping charge, possible suspension - Jan 29, 2011
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: appeals court, blood transfusions, csd, cyclists, frozen blood, giro d italia, ivan basso, jan ullrich, madrid, operation puerto, prosecutors, quantities, spain, spanish court, sports authority, tour de france, tour de france winner