Spaniard Verdasco enters Oz Open semisJanuary 28th, 2009 - 4:25 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan.28 (ANI): Spain’’s Fernando Verdasco has entered his first grand slam semi-final. In an upset result at this year’’s Australian Open, 14th seed Verdasco beat fifth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France 7-6 (7-2) 3-6 6-3 6-2.
Having led his country in the absence of Rafael Nadal to victory over Argentina in Davis Cup last year, Verdasco now has the chance to register another upset in the semis where he could face the world No.1.
Tsonga, last year’’s beaten Australian Open finalist, had his chances, only to squander them with a lack of discipline on big games.
The Frenchman was competitive throughout the first set, before seemingly losing concentration in the tiebreak, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
A rare error from Verdasco, who slapped a simple volley out of court on game point in the sixth game, allowed Tsonga the advantage in the second set.
He held onto it to level the score having converted only one of seven break points in the first two sets.
But that was the last piece of serious resistance Tsonga showed.
He dropped his first serve in the third set and Verdasco maintained his superiority to take it without being threatened.
It was the same in the fourth with Tsonga again dropping his first serve of the game and providing little more than token opposition.
Verdasco put a solid 88 per cent of his first serves into play in the final set and 78 per cent for the match.
The defeat leaves Tsonga’’s appearance in last year’’s Open final as his grand slam highlight.
He didn”t play in either the French Open or at Wimbledon and won only two matches at the US Open. (ANI)
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki rallies; Federer, Williams cruise to quarters - Sep 06, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Djokovic eases through, Li Na exits at US Open (Lead) - Aug 31, 2011
- Indian Wells: Paes-Stepanek advance, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out - Mar 11, 2012
- Tsonga edges Raonic in longest Olympic tennis match - Aug 01, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- World Tour Finals: Nadal wins three-hour battle with Fish - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: australian open, big games, break points, davis cup, fernando verdasco, french open, frenchman, game point, jan 28, jo wilfried tsonga, morning herald, rafael nadal, rare error, semis, sixth game, sydney morning herald, tiebreak, token opposition, volley, wilfried