Spaniard dies after reaching Everest’s summitMay 24th, 2012 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 24 (IANS/EFE) Spanish mountaineer Juan Jose Polo Carbayo died on the weekend as he was descending from Mt. Everest after reaching the summit of the world’s tallest mountain, the Nepalese agency responsible for the climbing expedition told EFE.
“The most probable cause of his death was exhaustion,” said an official with Himalayan Guides, Hari Parjauli, who added that the 43-year-old Carbayo died Saturday after breaking away from the group with which he had reached the summit.
“Carbayo was going in a group of four, each one with their sherpa, and the Spaniard was falling behind,” said Parjauli Wednesday.
“The sherpa assured us that he only left him when he noticed that he was already dead,” said the company official.
He said that according to the sherpa’s testimony, the Spaniard died at a spot above 8,000 meters in altitude.
According to experts, many people prefer to ascend and descend Everest on the mountain’s Tibetan slope because the expedition is less expensive despite the fact that, among other advantages, acclimatization to the altitude is easier on the Nepalese slope.
Carbayo’s body will remain forever at about 8,300 meters along with those of about 200 other mountaineers who have died there over the years, his family decided, officials with the Spanish consulate in Beijing said.
The family of the Barcelona-born climber decided to let his body remain on the mountain, since recovering bodies from there is extremely difficult and hazardous and requires a team of about 10 people.
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Super Sherpa' breaks Everest record with 21 summits - May 11, 2011
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Missing climber found dead on Argentine peak - Mar 02, 2011
- Third climber dies on Mt Everest - May 13, 2011
- 19 times Everest summiter missing after avalanche in Nepal - Oct 25, 2010
- 82-year-old's death on Everest can't dampen 'old' climbers - May 10, 2011
- Everest begins to give up its dead - May 13, 2010
- More IAF climbers summit Everest (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Young girl from Arunachal to lead international expedition to Mt. Everest - Apr 18, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- 'Super Sherpa' hangs up Everest boots after 21st summit - May 27, 2011
- Brit mountaineer Kinloch dies after reaching Everest - Jun 02, 2010
- 9-yr-old Nepalese boy may be the youngest Everest climber - Nov 08, 2010
- Haryana couple takes love to great height - Mt Everest - May 20, 2011
Tags: altitude, barcelona, beijing, efe, exhaustion, himalayan guides, may 24, mountaineer, mountaineers, mt everest, polo, probable cause, reaching the summit, sherpa, slope, spanish consulate, tallest mountain, testimony