Spain’s Garcia Lopez wins Thailand OpenOctober 4th, 2010 - 8:58 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Oct 4 (IANS/EFE) Spain’s Guillermo Garcia Lopez defeated Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in the final of the Thailand Open Sunday.
Garcia Lopez, who made it into the final by defeating world No.1 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals Saturday, dropped to his knees and kissed the main court at Bangkok’s Impact Arena arena after championship point.
The 53rd-ranked Spaniard, who was playing in only the third final of his career, had a career week, becoming the first player ranked outside the top 50 to beat the world No.1 since 2007.
“It’s been an unbelievable week for me, from the first round to the final,” Garcia Lopez said.
The 27-year-old Garcia Lopez, who won his first title in 2009 in Kitzbuhel, became the eighth Spaniard to win a title this year and pushed Spain’s total tennis titles for the season to 18.
“Each match is different. I think I played relaxed, enjoying my game, and everything has been perfect. It’s hard to explain how I feel right now and what it means, but I feel very happy inside,” Garcia Lopez said.
The Spaniard, who received a check for $99,725, will move up close to No.40 in the world when the new rankings come out Monday.
- Somdev crashes out of Shanghai Masters opening round - Oct 10, 2011
- Somdev out of US Men's Clay Court Championships - Apr 08, 2011
- Soderling gets into Stockholm semi-finals - Oct 24, 2009
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympics tennis: Murray eases past Nieminen into round 3 (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Soderling marks career top 10 start with Stockholm win - Oct 22, 2009
- Spain chooses Seville to host Davis Cup final - Oct 06, 2011
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
- Somdev in second round at Houston - Apr 06, 2011
- Murray crushes Lopez to storm into last 16 of Australian Open - Jan 22, 2011
- Indian Wells: Paes-Stepanek advance, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out - Mar 11, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Bryan twins win gold for US - Aug 05, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Austria win Davis Cup doubles against Spain, trail 1-2 - Apr 08, 2012