Spain prepare for Euro defence with China gameJune 2nd, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, June 2 (IANS) The Spanish national team has its final rehearsal for the European Championships when they play China in Sevilla Sunday night.
The game will be the only chance that Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has to prepare for the defence of Spain’s European title with players from Athletic Club Bilbao and FC Barcelona available.
Spain enjoyed comfortable wins against Croatia and South Korea without key players such as Andres Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez and Fernando Llorente, reported Xinhua.
It will be interesting to see if del Bosque starts with big striker Fernando Llorente against China or if he gives another chance to Fernando Torres who silenced critics with the opening goal against South Korea in the 4-1 win in midweek.
Should Torres start, it will mean that he probably will get the nod ahead of Llorente in the European Championships, but del Bosque may feel that Llorente’s form throughout the season means he deserves his chance.
It looks increasingly likely that Sergio Ramos will move across from right back to partner Gerard Pique or Javi Martinez. That would see either Juanfran Torres, who looked impressive in the last two matches, or Alvaro Arbeloa compete for the right back slot.
Xavi, Iniesta and Sergio Busquets can all expect minutes in midfield, although Cesc Fabregas will miss out as he recovers from a slight muscle injury. Meanwhile, David Silva and either Santi Cazorla or Pedro Rodriguez will add support and creativity in the upper part of the field.
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Torres on song as Spain knock out Ireland - Jun 15, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Spain defeat China 1-0 in Euro 2012 warm-up - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: andres iniesta, athletic club bilbao, busquets, cazorla, china game, david silva, fabregas, fc barcelona, fernando llorente, fernando torres, gerard pique, javi martinez, juanfran torres, muscle injury, pedro rodriguez, sergio ramos, south korea, vicente del bosque, xavi hernandez, xinhua