Spain, Germany favourites for Euro: Dwight YorkeJune 26th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke backed either Spain or Germany to take home the Euro 2012 trophy.
“Spain are the favourites but Germany are not too far behind. One of these two teams will win the Euros, in my opinion,” said Yorke, who was here for the launch of Airtel and Manchester United talent hunt programme.
Yorke, who with Andy Cole formed one of the most prolific striking partnerships in Manchester United, hoped Manchester clubs will once again dominate the coming Premier League season.
“It was unfortunate that United could not win the title last year. But with all the funds Manchester City have at their disposal, it’s no surprise they were in the mix till the end. Next year too I think this will continue,” said Yorke.
The Trinidad and Tobago striker who was picked up by Aston Villa Scouts when he was just 16, said he hoped to see India soon playing in the World Cup.
“Like in the Caribbean, India too is a predominantly cricketing nation. But I hope to see India play in the World Cup soon, it will be a dream for everyone.”
Yorke saw no reason why India couldn’t produce a footballer who could play in one of the top European leagues.
“The facilities I had back home were horrendous, yet I made it to England. I had to work extremely hard for it, so I see no reason why Indians can do the same,” he opined.
- Lara, Yorke lift Man United to celebrity title - May 29, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Everton sign Belgium striker Mirallas - Aug 19, 2012
- Tevez says Man City have blown their Premiere League title chances - Feb 05, 2011
- Euro 2012: Ireland to again play on the big stage - Jun 03, 2012
- Airtel, Manchester United go scouting for talent - Jun 26, 2012
- Dwayne Bravo to take part in Big Bash - Nov 28, 2011
- Ronaldo advises Balotelli to 'talk less and think about playing more' - Jan 26, 2011
- Owen's recent Euro hat-trick fails to boost his World Cup hopes - Dec 26, 2009
- Villa likely to be sidelined for five months - Dec 16, 2011
- Ferguson's whopping 100,000 pound-a-week offer for Young - Apr 01, 2011
- Capello backs Rooney to fire in England's Denmark friendly - Feb 09, 2011
- Rooney give me 10 goals and Berbatov 30, demands Ferguson - Feb 02, 2011
- Man City set to sign Edin Dzeko for 34 million pounds - Dec 30, 2010
- Light at the end Of the tunnel for matured Balotelli - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: airtel, andy cole, caribbean, dwight yorke, euro 2012, favourites, footballer, indians, launch, manchester city, manchester clubs, manchester united, New Delhi, partnerships, premier league, striker, talent hunt, trinidad and tobago, trophy, world cup