Spain favourites, Russia outsiders: AdvocaatJune 5th, 2012 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia coach Dick Advocaat Tuesday played down his team’s chances at Euro 2012, naming the Spanish, the Dutch and the Germans as the tournament favourites.
The 64-year-old Dutchman called Russia “outsiders,” clarifying that he didn’t mean among the favourites, but “simply outsiders”.
“The favourites are Spain, Holland and Germany,” he said.
But Advocaat said the experience that the players had accrued since their run to the semifinals of Euro 2008 - “the skeleton of the team is still the same” - stood Russia in good stead.
“On the whole we have a good feeling before the Euro,” he said.
His only injury concerns ahead of Friday’s opener against the Czech Republic are goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev, who has a cruciate ligament injury that has flared up, and winger Marat Izmailov, who suffered a knock in the 0-0 draw against Lithuania, Monday.
Right-back Alexander Anyukov is training on an individual programme but should be ready, he said ading that “there are no other problems”.
Russia face the Czechs in Wroclaw before returning to Warsaw to play co-host Poland on June 12 and Greece on June 16 in the group stage of the tournament.
- Russia's Akinfeev has knee problem: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- Warsaw pitch average: Russia's Nababkin - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian coach wary of 'rough' Greeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia to improve: Advocaat - Jun 03, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia's Kokorin out with injury - Jun 15, 2012
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
- I expected more from the Poles: Russia's Izmailov - Jun 11, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- Greece too hard to break down: Russia coach - Jun 17, 2012
- Team relied on class, not effort: Russian sports minister - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Dangerous' Russia to qualify from group: Hiddink - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian football chief resigns after Euro failure - Jun 26, 2012
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia not in peak condition for Euros: Physio - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: co host, coach dick, cruciate ligament injury, czechs, dick advocaat, euro 2008, euro 2012, germans, goalkeeper, group stage, igor akinfeev, injury concerns, marat izmailov, old dutchman, outsiders, ria novosti russia, stead, warsaw, winger, wroclaw