Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squadMay 27th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 27 (IANS) Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque Sunday named his definitive 23-man squad for the European football championship.
Del Bosque’s squad was finalized two days after the final of the Spanish Copa del Rey and now includes the Barcelona and Athletic Club Bilbao players who played in that game none of whom played in Saturday’s 2-0 win in a friendly against Serbia in the Swiss town of St Gallen.
The main surprise is that Del Bosque has not chosen Atletico Madrid’s Adrian Lopez, who scored in his debut on Saturday night, reported Xinhua.
Meanwhile the Spain coach has included Pedro Rodriguez, who scored twice for FC Barcelona in their 3-0 Cup triumph. He is one of seven Barcelona players in the squad.
Barca duo of David Villa and Carles Puyol both miss out through injury, along with Athletic Club right back Andoni Iriola.
Iriola’s absence means good news for Adrian’s club-mate Juanfran Torres, who is included in the squad and has every chance of being first choice right back in the competition.
“It is a list we have thought a great deal about,” said del Bosque. “Everyone who has been with us and not made the final squad can feel a bit upset. We have picked them and now we have left them out, but there will be new squads in August and they should realize they are very close to the team.”
Del Bosque lamented the loss of Villa and Puyol, saying Villa, the top goalscorer in the history of the national team, was impossible to replace, the same as Puyol.
“We have solutions and we have them all around us,” he commented.
Del Bosque had previously given a 21-man list without Barcelona or Athletic Club players, while Chelsea duo Juan Mata and Fernando Torres joined the squad last week.
As well as Adrian, Benat Extabarria, Izko, David de Gea and Roberto Soldado have also failed to make the cut.
Spain will play South Korea Wednesday before finishing their preparations for the European Championships against China in Seville June 3.
Del Bosque’s side will then begin the defence of their European title against Italy June 10th.
Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, Victor Valdes, Pepe Reina,
Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa, Juanfran Torres, Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Raul Albiol, Javi Martinez, Jordi Alba,
Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, Andrs Iniesta, Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata, David Silva, Cesc Fabrigas.
Forwards: Jesus Navas, Pedro Rodriuez, Fernando Llorente, Fernando Torres, Alvaro Negredo.
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Coach Del Bosque recalls Torres and Mata in Spanish squad - May 22, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Bosque to name Spanish squad after May 25 - May 05, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Barcelona striker Villa out of Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Spanish press hail Euro 2012 triumph - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: adrian lopez, athletic club bilbao, benat, carles puyol, club mate, copa del rey, cup triumph, david de gea, fc barcelona, fernando torres, football championship, juan mata, juanfran torres, man squad, pedro rodriguez, roberto soldado, spanish copa del rey, st gallen, swiss town, vicente del bosque