Spain aims for fifth Davis Cup titleDecember 1st, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 1 (IANS) Spain are looking to win the Davis Cup tennis title for the fifth time when they face Argentina at the La Cartuja stadium in Sevilla Friday.
The final will be played on a beaten clay surface specially laid down in the La Cartuja stadium in Sevilla with Spain the favourites to take the title despite question marks hanging over their two key players, Xinhua reported.
Rafael Nadal looked tired and jaded as he crashed out of the ATP World Tour Finals with two straight defeats in London last week. There are worries that Nadal needs a break from the game, but he is expected to make one last effort in front of a packed house of Spanish supporters.
David Ferrer enjoyed a good tournament in London, but he could be the victim of his success after playing extra matches at the end of a long season.
While Ferrer and Nadal will hope to be at their best there are also doubts over the doubles pairing of Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez, who will be playing together for the first time since their defeat in the semi-finals against France.
It is still not certain who will play the singles tie for Argentina, although waiting in the wings are Juan Martin del Porto with Juan Monaco and David Nalbandian.
Monaco looks to be the favourite to get the nod, which would see Nalbandian partner Eduardo Schwank in the doubles.
- Davis Cup final: Argentina win doubles to keep chances alive - Dec 04, 2011
- Davis Cup semifinals: Nadal plays Gasquet, Djokovic against Nalbandian - Sep 15, 2011
- Spain chooses Seville to host Davis Cup final - Oct 06, 2011
- Argentina book place in Davis Cup semifinals - Apr 09, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Nadal could miss Spain's Davis Cup semi-final against France - Sep 14, 2011
- Holders Spain enter Davis Cup quarters - Feb 12, 2012
- Nadal out as Davis Cup champion Spain faces France - Jul 06, 2010
- Argentina draws 1-1 with Croatia in Davis Cup - Apr 07, 2012
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Rusty Davydenko to open for Russia; Spain without Nadal - Jul 08, 2010
- Tsonga edges Raonic in longest Olympic tennis match - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: atp world tour, clay surface, david ferrer, david nalbandian, davis cup, davis cup tennis, feliciano lopez, fernando verdasco, fifth time, juan monaco, la cartuja, nod, question marks, rafael nadal, schwank, semi finals, sevilla, tennis title, waiting in the wings, xinhua