South Korea win 7th straight Olympic archery goldJuly 30th, 2012 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) South Korea won its seventh consecutive Olympic gold medal in the women’s team archery competition Sunday, beating China in a rainy final.
Ki Bo-Bae shot the decisive nine-pointer to take the Koreans to 210 points, with the Chinese registering 209.
Korea and China, the finalists in Beijing four years ago, went into the halfway stage all square, but the Chinese flagged in the final end as Xu Jing hit consecutive eights to hand the initiative to Korea.
By that stage the Koreans already had a two-point lead with an arrow was adjudged to have fallen in the 10-point zone rather than nine.
It was a seventh straight gold for the Koreans.
Japan took third place earlier Sunday in a bronze medal playoff against Russia for its first-ever podium in the event.
Ksenia Perova shot an eight when Russia needed a ten to remain in the bronze medal match, handing third place to the Japanese who won 209-207.
The other members of the Russian team were Inna Stepanova and Kristina Timofeeva.
Japan’s lineup was Kaori Kawanaka, Ren Hayakawa and Miki Kanie.
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- Women win Mexico's first-ever medals in Olympic archery - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic judo: Kim scores revenge over Bischof for gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Italy beat US to take first Olympic archery gold - Jul 29, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic Kayak single gold for Hungary - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic badminton: South Koreans take men's doubles bronze - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Gonzalez stuns Lee for gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic handball: Spain slogs to dramatic bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: Gold for Chinese men's team - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Canoe sprint gold for New Zealand's Carrington - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Britain take men's sprint gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- China's Chen takes badminton bronze - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: arrow, bae, beijing, bronze medal, hayakawa, kanie, koreans, kristina, miki, olympic archery, olympic gold medal, podium, point zone, pointer, ria novosti, russian team, south korea, stepanova, team archery competition, vd