South Korea the team to beat at Olympics: Rahul BanerjeeJuly 14th, 2012 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 14 (IANS) Olympic medal hopeful archer Rahul Banerjee Saturday pointed to South Korea as the toughest opponent and said the London weather will play a significant role at the event to be held at Lord’s.
“We all know about the London weather. The wind and the wet weather will definitely have a significant bearing on the performance of the archers. We need to keep the weather factor in mind and adapt to the situation quickly,” said Banerjee on the eve of the team’s departure for the London Games.
The men’s team comprising Banerjee, Jayanta Talukdar and Tarundeep Rai and the women’s team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro accompanied by coach Limba Ram will leave for London Sunday.
Talking about the South Koreans, Banerjee said: “The Koreans are one of the best in business and the team to watch out for. However, we both individually and as a team have been doing well and hope to win at least two medals.”
With the Lord’s Cricket Ground being the venue for the archery event of the Olympics, Banerjee, a first time Olympian, hoped to peform like former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly who made a century on his debut at the hallowed stadium.
“Sourav scored a century on his debut at Lord’s and like him I hope that we will do India proud at the Games,” added Banerjee.
Both Talukdar and Rai expressed satisfaction over their preparation.
Coach Limba Ram also exuded confidence and said the games would be a test of nerves and temperament and the ones who would keep their cool will do well.
“It is all about handling pressure. The players must keep their cool and should focus only on their game,” said Limba Ram.
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: End of road for Indian men (Archery Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Olympic archery: Jayanta, Swuro miss mark (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- World archery: Indian women make it to London Olympics, men lose - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,