South Korea enters race to host football’s World CupFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Feb 3 (DPA) South Korea staged a last-minute entry into the competition for hosting football’s World Cup in 2018 or 2022, officials said Tuesday. The world football association FIFA had been informed before the deadline for host applications expired Monday, South Korea’s national football association said.
South Korea hosted the 2002 World Cup finals with Japan, the first time the event was held in Asia.
Japan is also among the dozen candidates bidding to host the tournaments in nine and 13 years.
Other candidates who had already announced their candidacy or interest in the 2018 and 2022 competitions were the US, Canada, Mexico, Portugal and Spain in a joint bid, Belgium and the Netherlands in a joint bid, Russia, Qatar, Indonesia and Australia.
The next World Cup finals are to take place in South Africa in 2010, followed by Brazil in 2014.
- Cameron to visit Zurich for last-ditch 2018 football WC bid lobbying - Nov 12, 2010
- 'British press, complaint against Russia may nix England's WC 2018 bid chances' - Oct 30, 2010
- FIFA provisionally suspends members over 2018, 2022 World Cup 'vote-selling scam' - Oct 21, 2010
- FIFA begins inspection for 2018-2022 World Cups - Jul 20, 2010
- Australia falters in bid to host 2018 World Cup - Jun 09, 2010
- FIFA official banned for three years over 2018, 2022 World Cup 'vote-selling' scam - Nov 18, 2010
- Brad Pitt to compete with Beckham for World Cup bid - Jun 04, 2010
- 2018, 2022 World Cup bidding process in turmoil over FIFA officials' vote-selling scam - Oct 17, 2010
- Australia in denial over World Cup soccer snub - Jan 27, 2010
- FIFA inspects Japan's bid to host 2022 World Cup - Jul 20, 2010
- World Cup 2022 Bid Won By Qatar, USA Fumes - Dec 03, 2010
- Paul the octopus joins England World Cup bid - Aug 21, 2010
- US announces cities for 2018, 2022 soccer World Cup bids - Jan 13, 2010
- Draw for 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers final round - Mar 09, 2012
- FIFA allocates $699 mn for Russia 2018 - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: 13 years, 2002 world cup finals, belgium, canada mexico, candidacy, competitions, dozen candidates, dpa, fifa, host applications, indonesia, national football association, netherlands, qatar, russia, seoul, south africa, south korea, world cup finals, world football