South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualificationApril 19th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, April 19 (IANS) South Africa’s Darian Townsend, winner of the men’s 4X100m relay at the 2004 Athens Olympics, failed to qualify for the London Olympics in the 200m freestyle division despite winning the race at the South African national swimming championships.
He finished in one minute 47.88 seconds — 0.06 seconds outside the qualifying mark for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, Xinhua reported.
Townsend, who won gold at the 2004 Athens Games in the relay with Roland Schoeman, Lyndon Ferns and Ryk Neethling, has further opportunities to qualify for the Olympics this week.
“Missing the qualifying time is a little bit disappointing, but I still have the 200m individual medley, which is my main event, and the 100m freestyle to come,” the 27-year-old said.
“It would have been a tough decision to make — now that decision is kind of made for me,” Townsend said.
Meanwhile, Charl Crous boosted his chances of going to the Games by timing below the qualifying time in the semifinals and final en route to 100m backstroke success.
South African swimmers failed to win a medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- World, championship records fall in Rome - Jul 29, 2009
- Teenage swimming sensation Seebohm to spearhead Oz challenge at CWG - Aug 27, 2010
- Lia Neal qualifies for the Olympics - Jul 16, 2012
- Monday's Commonwealth Games schedule - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: 100m freestyle, 2004 athens olympics, 2008 beijing olympics, 2012 olympic games, athens games, darian townsend, freestyle division, individual medley, london olympics, lyndon ferns, main event, national swimming championships, olympic games, olympic qualification, qualify for the olympics, roland schoeman, swimmer, swimmers, winning the race, xinhua