South African robbers caught red-handed by visiting Brazilian copsJune 24th, 2009 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 24 (DPA) Two Brazilian policemen who are here to observe the preparations for the 2010 football World Cup caught two robbers stealing from their hotel room, radio reports said Wednesday.
The thieves broke into the policemen’s hotel room in Pretoria Tuesday by climbing through the third-floor window but were nabbed as one was passing a sneaker out the window to his accomplice, Johannesburg-based 702 private radio reported.
The two men were arrested and brought to court Wednesday, where they pleaded guilty to stealing goods valued at around 3,000 rand (around 366 dollars), 702 reported.
The incident is the latest in a string of thefts targeting hotels hosting visitors at the ongoing FIFA Confederations Cup.
The Egyptian and the Brazilian teams also reported thefts of players’ possessions at their hotels last week.
The Egyptian case became shrouded in controversy following reports the players had been relieved of around 2,400 dollars in cash by prostitutes.
The eight-nation Confederations Cup is a warm-up for the World Cup next year.
Brazil is the next country to host the World Cup, in 2014.
- Queues for 38,000 unsold premier World Cup tickets - Jun 07, 2010
- Spanish World Cup final pitch invader fined - Jul 13, 2010
- Our dream is priceless: Lucio - Jun 24, 2010
- Fans queue as World Cup tickets go on sale - Apr 15, 2010
- Slide Tackle - World Cup curiosities - Jun 10, 2010
- High-speed train revs into Johannesburg for World Cup - Jun 08, 2010
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Obama may attend 2010 World Cup opening ceremony - Jun 23, 2009
- Brazil to spend $579 million on World Cup security - Aug 16, 2012
- Jabulani, South Africa's own psychic octopus - Jul 09, 2010
- Last of the World Cup tickets goes on sale - May 28, 2010
- Minister says S.Africa to 'break even' on World Cup costs - Jul 03, 2010
- 27 billion Rand bonanza for S. Africa from FIFA WC - Jun 30, 2010
- Egyptian players robbed in Johannesburg - Jun 20, 2009
- S. African court sentences three for robbing World Cup covering journos - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: accomplice, brazilian teams, controversy, cops, fifa confederations cup, football world cup, hotel room, johannesburg, june 24, policemen, possessions, pretoria, private radio, prostitutes, radio reports, robbers, sneaker, thieves, two men, world cup in 2014