South Africa to host Champions Trophy 2009March 16th, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Mar 16 (ANI): The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Monday said that South Africa would host this years Champions Trophy One Day tournament in September-October.
The eight-team tournament is scheduled to take place from 24 September to 5 October across two venues.
Australia won the last Champions Trophy, which was hosted by India in 2006.
The decision was taken by the ICC after a recommendation last week to shift the tournament from Sri Lanka because of worries of rain during the September-October competition.
The ICC also decided the 2010 ICC World Twenty20 in the West Indies would be held between 30 April and 16 May.
The 2009 ICC World Twenty20 event is being hosted by England between 5 and 21 June.
The Champions Trophy was scheduled to be held in Pakistan last year, but taken away from the strife-torn nation due to security concerns.
The deteriorating security condition of Pakistan and its political instability has seen several teams deciding not to tour the country in the recent times.
Two home series, against Australia and West Indies, were relocated aftermath the 9/11 incident. Then Australia refused to come to Pakistan citing security concerns, and India too pulled out of a tour in the wake of the Mumbai terrorist strikes.
Sri Lanka, originally the reserve venue, was officially declared as the events host in January this year. (ANI)
- ICC announces 2012 World T20 schedule - Sep 21, 2011
- Australian cricket team to play Afghanistan next month - Jul 02, 2012
- PCB chief vows to improve security for World Cup 2011 - Feb 11, 2009
- ICC hails Australia's decision to play Afghanistan - Jul 02, 2012
- India likely to take part in Asian kabaddi in Islamabad - Oct 04, 2011
- S.Africa to host first ICC Women's Cricket Challenge - Aug 06, 2010
- PCB to receive 400,000 dollars for each World Cup match moved from Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
- Sri Lanka board ex-chief urges Pawar to reconsider Eden - Feb 01, 2011
- India clubbed with South Africa, England in cricket World Cup - Oct 07, 2009
- South Africa set to host Champions League T20 - Jun 26, 2012
- Pak cricket team has "no security concerns about going to India" for WC semis: Waqar - Mar 24, 2011
- Champion Trophy's prize money to increase four times - Jul 20, 2009
- India need a whitewash of Sri Lanka to be No. 1 ODI team - Jul 19, 2012
- Cricket World Cup returns to the sub-continent Thursday (Preview) - Feb 16, 2011
- ICC withdraws Champions Trophy from Pakistan - Feb 01, 2009
Tags: 24 september, aftermath, australia, champions trophy, england, icc world twenty20, India, international cricket council, pakistan, political instability, rain, security concerns, south africa, sri lanka, strife, strikes, venue, west indies, worries