South Africa Sports Minister warns of World War III over Semanya
September 12th, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANILondon, Sep 12 (ANI): The South African government has threatened a “third world war” if the International Association of Athletics Federation bans champion runner Caster Semenya over a test that shows her to be a hermaphrodite, a person with both female and male sexual characteristics.
The IAAF commissioned a gender test on the teenager after her performance levels improved remarkably in the build-up to the competition.
The leaked report that a gender verification test had found the 18 year-old to be a hermaphrodite with no womb was greeted with outrage in South Africa on Friday, with politicians, sports officials and Semenya’s relatives decrying the teenager’s public humiliation.
On Friday the IAAF attempted to diffuse the controversy by refusing to confirm the medical reports, insisting that it would make official comment until after the test results had been verified by a panel of scientific experts.
But the prospect of the teenager being disqualified from future female races drew a furious response from South African Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile, The Telegraph reports.
“I think it would be the third world war. We will go to the highest levels in contesting such a decision. She’s a woman, she remains our heroine. We must protect her,” he said.
Semenya was due to run in a 4km race at the national cross-country championships in Pretoria on Saturday, but was withdrawn by her coach Michael Seme on the grounds that she was “not feeling well”.
The IAAF is expected to disqualify the South African from future events and advise her to have surgery because her condition carries grave health risks, The Daily Telegraph report claims.
A source closely involved with the IAAF tests said Semenya had internal testes — the male sexual organs, which produce testosterone.
“There certainly is evidence Semenya is a hermaphrodite. But the trouble is the IAAF now has the whole ANC and the whole of South Africa on their backs. Everything is going to have to be done absolutely by the book, no question of a challenge to the findings,” the source said. (ANI)
- S. African gender row runner Semenya set to race against women - Jul 06, 2010
- IAAF in a fix as tests prove Semenya is a hermaphrodite - Sep 11, 2009
- Athletics South Africa criticises Caster Semenya hermaphrodite report - Sep 11, 2009
- Semenya skips African Athletics Championships, to focus on CWG - Jul 12, 2010
- IAAF offers to pay for Caster Semenya's gender surgery - Dec 12, 2009
- After World Cup, runner Semenya is South Africa's hope - Jul 12, 2010
- South African officials withhold findings of Caster Semenya's gender test - Sep 19, 2009
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
- Rivals 'stared and laughed at' Proteas' Semenya, claims UK athlete - Jul 23, 2010
- Semenya's gender tested unknown to her: mother - Sep 13, 2009
- Caster Semenya's Fate Hangs In Balance - Jan 14, 2010
- Back injury forces world champ Semenya to pull out of Delhi Commonwealth Games - Sep 29, 2010
- Caster Semenya plans to make 1,500m bid in 2012 Olympics - Feb 22, 2011
- South African runner Semenya a hermaphrodite - Sep 11, 2009
- S. African gender row runner Semenya placed on suicide watch - Sep 13, 2009
Tags: africa sports, cross country championships, daily telegraph, gender test, hermaphrodite, male sexual organs, medical reports, national cross country championships, performance levels, public humiliation, seme, sexual characteristics, south african government, south african sports, sports officials, telegraph report, telegraph reports, third world war, verification test, world war iii