South Africa name unchanged Test squad for England seriesJune 13th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 13 (IANS) Cricket South Africa (CSA) Wednesday showed faith in the Test squad that won their last series comprehensively against New Zealand when the selectors named an unchanged group for the three-match series in England.
The 15-man squad will play Tests at The Oval in London and at Headingley in Leeds before returning to London for the final match at Lord’s. The series starts on July 19 with the final Test finishing Aug 20.
England and South Africa are ranked Nos.1 and 2, respectively, on the latest ICC Test match rankings announced this week at the conclusion of England’s series against the West Indies.
“The players fully deserve a vote of confidence after the outstanding manner in which they outplayed New Zealand away from home,” CSA selection convener Andrew Hudson said.
“We are now building up excellent depth in both the batting and bowling departments. This was highlighted by JP Duminy’s century when he was called up as an 11th hour replacement for Jacques Kallis.
“I believe most other countries would be very happy to have the fast bowling resources we have at the moment. Marchant de Lange has been most impressive since his outstanding debut against Sri Lanka while Lonwabo Tsotsobe gives us a left-arm option.
“Consistency has also been one of the key pillars of our selection policy and this is also contributing to our success on the field.”
Hudson added that AB de Villiers would be the reserve wicketkeeper for the Test series.
Captain Graeme Smith has made a complete recovery from his out-of-season operation and has already had two throw-down sessions with national coach Gary Kirsten.
“Graeme has been outstanding both as our leading runs scorer and as captain during our last two Test tours of England and I have every confidence he will continue that form,” added Hudson.
Johan Botha (knee injury) has been forced to withdraw from the T20 series in Zimbabwe. Hashim Amla will take over the captaincy and the squad will be reduced to 14 players.
Test squad: Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, Marchant de Lange, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
- Injured Kallis in, Boucher dropped from SA World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- Tahir makes the cut in South Africa's ODI squad - Jan 06, 2011
- South Africa's World Cup squad arrives in Chennai - Feb 09, 2011
- South Africa recalls Botha, Tsotsobe for Test series against India - Jan 19, 2010
- India elect to field against South Africa - Jan 02, 2011
- South Africa opt to bowl against India - Dec 16, 2010
- India, Proteas in series face-off on batsman, spin friendly Cape Town pitch - Jan 01, 2011
- South Africa to bat first - Jan 12, 2011
- Ishant to replace injured Praveen for ODI series - Jan 11, 2011
- World Cup: South Africa elect to field against West Indies - Feb 24, 2011
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- South Africa will like to leave the past behind (Team Profile, World cup Countdown) - Feb 11, 2011
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- India elect to field in Centurion ODI - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: ab de villiers, andrew hudson, bowling resources, cricket south africa, england series, final match, gary kirsten, graeme smith, hashim amla, headingley, jacques kallis, johan botha, man squad, national coach, selection policy, test match, test squad, tours of england, vote of confidence, wicketkeeper