South Africa drub Australia in fourth One-dayerJanuary 26th, 2009 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Adelaide, Jan 26 (IANS) South Africa handed an eight-wicket drubbing to Australia to take an unassailable 3-1 lead in the five-match One-day International series here Monday.After bowling out Australia for a modest 222, South Africa romped home with stand-in opener Hashim Amla (80 not out) and A.B. de Villiers (82 not out) adding 142 runs for the third wicket.
South Africa crossed the victory target in just 39 overs.
Australia won the toss and chose to bat first, but its batsmen failed to put out a challenging score.
Makhaya Ntini (4-52) and Dale Steyn (3-49) did not give Australian batsmen any time to settle down and the only real resistance came from skipper Ricky Ponting, who made a quickfire 63 off 70 balls with nine fours.
Ponting and Michael Hussey (28) added 93 runs for the third wicket but they were dismissed in a space of four runs.
Cameron White (30) and James Hopes (42) helped the home team get past the 200 mark before Australia were all out in the 48th over.
South Africa got off to a positive start with Herschelle Gibbs and Amla adding 58 runs in 9.2 overs.
Gibbs’s 38 off 29 balls included eight fours. Australian hopes were revived after Gibbs and Jacques Kallis (13) were dismissed in quick succession.
Amla and de Villiers, though, batted with responsibility and did not give the Australians any chance of making further inroads in the batting line-up.
Amla’s 80 came off 103 balls with eight fours while man of the match de Villiers’ 85-ball knock had six fours and one six.
The final ODI will be played in Perth Friday.
- Centuries from Amla, De Villiers power South Africa to 351/5 (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- South Africa clinch a thriller in Nagpur (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2011
- Amla, De Villiers stars of South Africa's big win over Netherlands (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
- India need 268 runs to win series against South Africa (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Harbhajan gives India an edge in third Test (Lunch report) - Jan 05, 2011
- Kallis powers South Africa to victory (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Sri Lanka thrash Australia by eight wickets - Feb 17, 2012
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Kallis steers South Africa to comfortable 232/4 (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Tendulkar rises to fourth in Test rankings, Siddle in top 10 - Dec 30, 2011
- South Africa lose quick wickets, reduced to 125/3 (Tea Report) - Jan 02, 2011
- India, Proteas in series face-off on batsman, spin friendly Cape Town pitch - Jan 01, 2011
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- Win showed the character of the team: Smith - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: amla, australians, cameron white, dale steyn, dayer, drub, drubbing, herschelle gibbs, inroads, jacques kallis, michael hussey, odi, perth, ponting, quickfire, ricky, six fours, skipper, target, wicket