South Africa beat India by 11 runs (Lead)March 31st, 2012 - 2:46 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 31 (IANS) South Africa beat India by 11 runs via the Duckworth Lewis Method in the rain-marred one-off Twenty20 international at the Wanderers here Friday.
India, while chasing a target of 220, were cruising well at 71 for no loss in 7.5 overs with Gautam Gambhir batting on 49 and Robin Uthappa 18 when the showers came down heavily prompting the fans in the packed stadium to run for cover.
The game was headed towards an exciting finish but rain played spoilsport bring down the curtain early on what was supposed to be a tribute to the veteran South African cricketer Jacques Kallis for his contribution to the sport.
The proceeds from the match will also go to Kallis’ foundation that provides scholarship to talented cricketers from underprivileged areas. South African president Jacob Zuma was also among the fans cheering for the home team.
Earlier, scintillating knocks from Colin Ingram and veteran Jacques Kallis powered South Africa to a mammoth 219 for four in 20 overs.
Man of the Match Ingram top scored with 78 while Kallis struck 61. They dded 119 runs for the second wicket after a good start by local hero Richard Levi, who scored 19 runs off seven balls.
For India, part-time spinner Suresh Raina picked up two wickets but leaked 49 runs while left-arm pacer Irfan Pathan picked up one wicket, giving away 44 runs from four overs.
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin, however, was most impressive giving away 33 runs from four overs and also picked up the crucial wicket of Kallis.
Cameos from debutant Farhaan Behardien (20 not out), Justin Ontong (22) and Albie Morkel (16 not out) took South Africa past the 200-run mark.
- Final scoreboard: India vs. South Africa, T20 - Mar 31, 2012
- India elect to field against South Africa - Mar 30, 2012
- Knight Riders declared winner as rain-hit CLT20 tie abandoned - Oct 02, 2011
- South Africa beat India in rain marred Twenty20 - Mar 31, 2012
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Kallis completes a rare double in World Cup (Statistical Highlights) - Mar 16, 2011
- Warriors set 156-run target for Knight Riders - Oct 02, 2011
- South Africa look set for huge first innings score (Tea report) - Dec 17, 2010
- World T20: South Africa send Zimbabwe packing (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Gayle turns KKR's nightmare as RCB wins again (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- South Africa in World Cup quarters with clinical display against Ireland (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Kallis, Boucher frustrate India (Tea report) - Jan 05, 2011
- Sri Lanka thrash Australia by eight wickets - Feb 17, 2012
- Duminy rescues South Africa but misses World Cup ton (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- ICC confirms squads for World Twenty20 - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: albie, ashwin, cameos, colin ingram, duckworth lewis method, jacob zuma, jacques kallis, local hero, pacer, raina, ravichandran, robin uthappa, south african cricketer, south african president, target, twenty20 international, underprivileged areas, wicket, wickets, zuma