South Africa are favourites to win World Twenty20: CollingwoodJune 12th, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 12 (IANS) After being handed a comprehensive seven-wicket loss by the South Africans in the cricket World Twenty20, England captain Paul Collingwood Friday tipped Proteas as the favourites to win the competition.
South Africa Thursday packed off England for mere 111 in a Super Eight, Group E match and later comfortably reached the target in 16.4 overs.
“South Africa proved why they are going to be favourites in the competition,” Collingwood was quoted as saying in the English media.
“They set standards with their fielding and their bowling and put us under a lot of pressure. On the day, they were much better than us. Sometimes it takes a great catch - a 50-50 chance like KP’s - to turn a game and that sort of thing is why they are the favourites.
“Their team covers all bases. They fling themselves around in the field and are very quick. There are not many areas that you can really target.”
England now play India in The Oval Sunday in a must win situation to keep their semi-final hopes alive.
- All is not lost for England: Collingwood - Mar 04, 2011
- India face South Africa in ICC Champions Trophy opener - Aug 21, 2012
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- Pietersen, Kieswetter shine as England crush South Africa by 39 runs in T20 WC - May 09, 2010
- England face stern test against South Africa (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- List of South Africa's bizarre losses in World Cup - Mar 26, 2011
- 2006 match between S.Africa, Australia voted greatest ODI ever - Jan 06, 2011
- Twenty20: Collingwood insists England still in with a chance - Jun 12, 2009
- Collingwood says England is world's No.1 Twenty20 team - Jan 10, 2011
- Collingwood now wants two World Cup wins! - May 17, 2010
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- Rain likely to mar South Africa-Netherlands match (Preview) - Mar 02, 2011
- England outclass Australia to win World Twenty20 (Lead) - May 17, 2010
- England to focus on power hitting, greater athleticism against Proteas in ODIs - Nov 06, 2009