Son of Formula One idol unharmed after crashJune 4th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 4 (IANS) Geraldo Piquet, the eldest son of three-time Formula One world champion Nelson Piquet, walked away unharmed after his race truck flipped and exploded in a fireball.
The 34-year-old was competing in the fourth round of Brazil’s Formula Truck championship at the Ayrton Senna racetrack in the city of Goiania.
Piquet admitted he was fortunate not to be seriously injured in the accident, which left his vehicle a smouldering heap of twisted metal, reported Xinhua.
“It all happened so fast but I kept calm,” Piquet said. “I knew everything would be Ok. But now I’m not sure what will happen in the next race because we’re going to have to put together a whole new truck.”
Nelson Piquet won the Formula One world championship in 1981, 1983 and 1987.
- The importance of numbers in Formula One - Oct 25, 2011
- Movie tribute for Formula One legend Ayrton Senna - Mar 25, 2011
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- No worries about safety at Indian GP: Ecclestone - Oct 24, 2011
- 'Black don't crack' Hamilton aiming longer F1 stint than even Schumacher - Mar 26, 2011
- Renowned F1 doctor Watkins passes away - Sep 13, 2012
- Senna voted greatest Formula One driver of all time - Dec 15, 2009
- My parents would be terrified if I said them about death on tracks: Hamilton - Aug 01, 2010
- Hamilton sees F1 fight with Alonso as new Senna-Prost battle - Mar 29, 2011
- Schumi has lost the edge, says old rival Frentzen - Dec 20, 2011
- I have come back to be No.1 again: Schumacher - Oct 27, 2011
- From Senna to Irrfan, through Asif Kapadia's lens - Mar 16, 2012
- Formula One is safe: Sutil - Oct 24, 2011
- Hamilton hopes secret new helmet will help him to win at Monaco - May 12, 2010
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: ayrton senna, brazil, crash, eldest son, fireball, formula one, formula truck, geraldo, heap, nelson piquet, racetrack, rio de janeiro, senna, truck championship, twisted metal, world champion, xinhua