Somdev, Sania drew tough opponents in French OpenMay 20th, 2011 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 20 (IANS) India’s Somdev Devvarman has been drawn against Croatian Ivan Ljubicic while Sania Mirza will take on German Kristina Barrois in the French Open tennis first round.
Somdev, ranked 66, will have a tough match against former World no.3 Ljubicic, who is currently ranked 36.
Sania, ranked 74, too, will not have it easy against Barrois, who reached the final of the Estoril Open in April and is 15 rungs above the Indian.
Somdev has been in hot form this season and had a pre-quarterfinal apperanace at Indian Wells, where he lost to World No.1 Rafael Nadal.
Ljubicic, who reached the semifinals of the French Open in 2006 for his career best Grand Slam performance, made it to the third round here last year.
Somdev, who is making his second appearance in the Roland Garros main draw, has never played Ljubicic before.
Sania has cleared the second round of French Open only once in 2007 in four appearances.
- Doubles best bet for India in French Open - May 22, 2011
- Sania reaches career best doubles ranking - Jun 06, 2011
- Somdev to play Starace in opening round at Miami - Mar 22, 2011
- French Open: Sania enters second round with convincing win (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Somdev loses to Ljubicic after starting well (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- French Open: Somdev crashes out in first round - May 24, 2011
- 2010 Chennai Open promises high-octave action - Jan 02, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- 17th Chennai Open to see close games - Jan 01, 2012
- Sania, Somdev to open their US Open campaign Monday - Aug 29, 2010
- French Open: Sania-Vesnina in women's doubles second round - May 25, 2011
- Somdev reaches career best 73 in singles - Mar 21, 2011
- Somdev faces Robredo in Australian Open first round - Jan 14, 2011
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
Tags: appearance, estoril open, french open, french open paris, french open tennis, grand slam, India, indian wells, ivan ljubicic, kristina barrois, match, opponents, rafael nadal, roland garros, rungs, sania mirza, somdev devvarman